While researching my friends V6 problem, I came across the article below that I thought I should share.

Toyota piston ring

The BIGGEST problem I ever had with this truck was what later I found to be a piston ring defect. After a trip to Colorado I noticed a lack of power after I returned to the Midwest. I felt it could have been a bad emission sensor which wasn't letting the computer readjust to the denser air. I noticed and excessive amount of blow-by in the throttle body so that pointed to other things. After timeless research by technicians and mechanic friends that the problem was warped piston rings. Turns out that at any time the engine temperature was overheated (i.e. radiator/water pump failure) that the rings wouldn't recover and never seat properly again. This was due to the metal they were made from (as far as I know it was only 3VZE). Furthermore this problem was Toyota's and they had a low profile recall on the problem (V06 Campaign). Since this involved rebuilding the entire engine-they weren't exactly handing these out. With some inside help I submitted the truck for repairs and with only the cost of new gaskets, belts, and a few hoses it was fixed good as new. On one hand I was disappointed that it took the work it did to be accepted for this problem, but, I do understand the ramifications from it, and the other I was glad that they stood behind there product and made things right.

• 8 months later...
While researching my friends V6 problem, I came across the article below that I thought I should share.

Toyota piston ring

The BIGGEST problem I ever had with this truck was what later I found to be a piston ring defect. After a trip to Colorado I noticed a lack of power after I returned to the Midwest. I felt it could have been a bad emission sensor which wasn't letting the computer readjust to the denser air. I noticed and excessive amount of blow-by in the throttle body so that pointed to other things. After timeless research by technicians and mechanic friends that the problem was warped piston rings. Turns out that at any time the engine temperature was overheated (i.e. radiator/water pump failure) that the rings wouldn't recover and never seat properly again. This was due to the metal they were made from (as far as I know it was only 3VZE). Furthermore this problem was Toyota's and they had a low profile recall on the problem (V06 Campaign). Since this involved rebuilding the entire engine-they weren't exactly handing these out. With some inside help I submitted the truck for repairs and with only the cost of new gaskets, belts, and a few hoses it was fixed good as new. On one hand I was disappointed that it took the work it did to be accepted for this problem, but, I do understand the ramifications from it, and the other I was glad that they stood behind there product and made things right.

Going to the zone.....

I had a deal with an Isuzu trooper years ago - the dealer could not fix my problem - I had to demand getting the "zone office" involved. They sent a mechanic down and he fixed what the dealer screwed up.

And yes, for repeated problems (fleet wide) there are "silent warranties", and yes they are slow to offer them. A smart dealer (or should I say a smart service advisor) will get it going fast so the customer is happy - of course "smart" is relative and somewhat rare.