Ready to check out my gas appliances.

Hello all. I have been doing alot of mechanical type stuff to get my Granville ready for my trip to the Keys. I have sorted all of that out. I am going to try my gas stuff out now.

1. Is there a pilot light on the stove that must be lit whenever the gas system is turned on? I don't want gas pumping out into the RV when I have the gas turned on.

2. Same question for the furnace.

3> The hot water heater has a valve which is turned off so I know it won't be putting out gas when the pilot is off.

Just want to know what to look for. I had a pop up before with no stove or furnace so there were no pilot lights except for the fridge which I never used for gas operation.

4> Also the fridge can be used with gas although I have not yet tried it.

Thanks in advance!!!

Your appliances may be different, so don't take this as absolute.

1) My stove has no pilot.

2) My furnace has no pilot, its electronic ignition (one attempt)

3) My water heater does have a pilot, but the valve can be turned OFF

4) Frig - Yes/No The Pilot is the burner. When GAS is selected, I light the pilot in a similar manner as the water heater hold the safety button in until the pilot is lite for a few seconds.

If your using a sniffer (yours or electronic) To do leak checks you need to make sure there is propane in the lines (What comes first, Chicken or egg)

Go around and put a wrench on all the flared fittings and give them a little snug.

I generally do the following if my LP has been turned off for more than a few days, this purges the line and makes sure there is propane in the lines. Turn on the LP and turn on one of the stove burners, use one of those long butane lighters and after a few seconds try and light the stove, (may take 15 - 30 seconds to get gas up to the stove) After the stove lights for a few seconds, turn it off. now you can check the lines.

Be careful, the usual no open flames or ignition sources, have a hose or fire extinguisher handy, especially for this first commissioning.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

ShaggyRV,

Usually, the top burners on your stove won't have a pilot light but the oven will have one. On my '85 Dolphin with a Wedgewood stove with four top burners and an oven, there is no gas coming out of anything until I manually light one of the top burners or set the oven control to "pilot" and then light the pilot light in the oven. If I don't set the oven control to "pilot", no gas comes out when the gas is turned on at the propane tank.

What brand and year of stove do you have?

John

My 1983 Dolly used to have a 4 burner wedgewood as well John, and it was the same, had to manually light stove and oven. I'm all electric now, no more gas....