Hello Has anyone had experience with the the EGR system for 1991 Toyota 3 litre V6. Check engine light is on and it gives the code 71, which states EGR System fault. EGR valve tests OK, temp sensor tests OK, swapped out the EGR vacuum solenoid, even cleaned the EGR valve for carbon. Still show check engine light. What next? Any hints? Thanks Douglas W on Gabriola Island

not sure about the V6, but on an older toyota pickup my dad had, the check engine light had to be reset to go off after repairing what was causing it to come on. not sure exactly what had to be reset but remember he had a dealer do it.

Thanks I did clear the code. You remove the fuse for the EFI to do this, leaving it out for a few minutes then return it. The check engine light is then off in the dash, but unfortunately for me the light reappeared after a few miles and the same code was given, thus showing the fault still exists. Don't know what the next step should be. Thanks DouglasW on Gabriola

i had an early 2000 ford that the codes could refer to several different items. it took replaceing/repairing a few items before the code went by by for good. don't know if this would apply to the toyota. you might need to find someone who is really good at diagnosing codes and fixing it the first time :o).

Have you rechecked the code? It very possibly set a O2 sensor code. If you apply vacuum to the egr valve it should cause the engine to stumble at idle.