Transmission works fine except will not go into overdrive. Toyota truck owners manual says engine temp must be above 122 degrees F. and must not be in altitude above 4000 feet, otherwise the overdrive will not work. Overdrive has never worked since I bought the vehicle used. Overdrive indicator light will show "Off" but does not light up on "On". I suspect electrical problem, possibly one of the above mentioned sensors. Where can I find them and check for any other problems? I do not know the type number of the transmission, but it seems to be identified as conventional automatic. Local Toyota dealer refuses to help. Says he can not get a motor home into his shop. Obviously he can, but just does not want to fool with it. I would appreciate help with my problem!

as far as showing "on" mine doesn't. (1989 V6 Auto) when turned off it does show it is off but shows nothing when on. you might check some transmission shops in your area, they may have a large enough bay for the motor home. with a little luck it's just that the signal to go into overdrive isn't getting to where it needs to be. hard for me to tell when going from high to overdrive, but easy to notice when going down the road at 50 or so and turn it off. if you do a search on toyota overdrive problems with the year you should find some postings about what others have had happen to cause the same problem. mine did not work when i first got it, found the problem to be the fluid level was a little bit below full, and i mean a little bit. evidently very sensitive sensor telling the system is full and that will keep the overdrive from working, at least on mine. definetly check that out. you'll get it solved :o).

My light only comes on when the OD is disable with the pushbutton on the shift handle. i.e. OD = OFF

It does not show ON.

The 4000 ft is general, I seem to recall mine would stop working down around 3000 ft.

I rarely use it anyway.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I do not know the type number of the transmission, but it seems to be identified as conventional automatic.

Behind all 22R-Es is the type A43D transmission.

It seems to me that I've read that the 'altitude' switch is behind one of the kick panels.

1985 (close enough!) FSM here:-

https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B_1LbTxQDmlVYmRkZTE2YjItODUzYS00NDUxLTk0ODUtYTYxYjZiYjk4ZTA5&hl=en

on my 87 dolphon 86 chassis 22re auto the overdrive light only shows off if you look at the id plate on the firewall on myn the trans number is A 43 D if i am right the toyota auto trans are built under licence from borgwarner i know the older ones were .

The switch supplies power to the solenoid at the rear of the trans. Key on not running O/D light off you should have power if it does and it still does not work remove the solenoid and take the small "O" ring off the end of the solenoid put it back in and try it. If that works replace the solenoid. If you leave the ring off you can not turn off the O/D.

• 8 months later...