How to remove the A/C in a '89 Dolphin

rvman

my ac dose not work and i want to remove it how do i do it and were do i get a vent for it.

Once ya remove the AC, the hole left on top SHOULD be the same size as a regular 14x14 roof roof vent assembly, or skylight.

Maybe ya could put a recessed lighting fixture in place as well, and cover the roof hole with a coverplate? it's your choice as to what you would like there, and a lot of options.

Heres some You Tube advice that might help. This series can be some good basic help for a multitude of RV issues

Good Luck, and peace!

I just removed my A/C unit from my 89 Dolphin. I'm still working on the roof, but I have installed a fantastic fan in it's place. The hole is the standard 14" vent hole so you will have lots of choice as to what you install in it's place. :)

To remove the unit you will need to remove the inside and outside covers. My unit had the heater option, so i had to unplug that, then undo the electrical connection, and remove 4 big bolts that bolts the top part with the inside part. once that is out you have to use something to lift up on the A/C unit, when it has some tension on it I moved back inside and there is sticky foam gasket stuck to both the ac unit and the top of your roof, just slowly separate form your roof, working in the RV through the 14" vent hole. If your not going to be selling the unit ( Mine was working, so I put an ad in Craigslist for $300 and it was sold in two days for $200...) you can just cut the gasket with a sharp knife.

Here is a picture of the hole just after the unit was removed.. it is a little distorted because I did not know the foam gasket was there and it pulled the aluminum skin of the roof a wee bit when lifting up...

IMG_2766-1.jpg

and one of the unit off...

IMG_2767.jpg

It is not too hard... Good luck with the job!

Andrew.

We are taking our first big trip in September after I retire. I may remove the AC if it turns out that it does not get used. I am lucky because I built the swing set in the back yard withintention of using it for lifting by using a chain hoist. I was told that it is pretty easy to remove the units if you have a means to lift it off.

never removed an air conditioner, but to work on the roof vents i laid two 8' 2X4's across the top and a piece of plywood across that to climb on. personally even though i'm only 150 lbs i don't trust tbs roof to climb on.

Just removed my a/c unit and installed a vent. Pretty easy task and happy to lose the weight and gain the headroom!

My old unit is in good working condition and for sale in Portland, OR if anyone interested.

We're sitting in Cherry Hill park in Washington DC (Very nice by the way). Our 5000 btu Window unit has been humming along for 3 days. it was 93 today with high humidity, and muggy at night.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

And I'm sitting in my toyhome in Minnesota, dressed in layers, tryin to stay warm. Ha ha! :P