Coach lights won't come on 1983 Dolphin

Thanks in advance for any responses.

We have a 1983 Dolphin and the coach lights won't come on. In addition, the outside light by the door won't work either. They all mysteriously stopped working one day. I changed the fuse in the line running from the battery but that didn't help. The outlets work fine and have power.

Any suggestions? Could it be a breaker or other fuse?

You need to purchase an inexpensive Volt Meter, and learn how to use it to measure 110 Volts AC and 12 Volts DC. Check with Home Depot or Walmart, should be able to buy one for about $25.

Attached is a basic, generic diagram as to how the electrical systems are hooked up.

Looking at the diagram, notice that the 12 Vdc is on the left and 110 Vac is on the right. The box in the middle is the "Converter".

The Converter is nothing more than a power supply that when you plug into shore power, the converter supply's 12 volts to the coach and recharges the coach battery (more on this later)

The Coach has three sources of 12 volt power, 1) The Coach battery, 2) the Truck battery (when the truck is running) and 3) the converter (when your plugged into shore power)

One thing you might try would be start the truck and see if the coach lights work. Its possible that the converter is bad and the coach battery is dead.

I would also look at the fuses on the converter (they look like standard automotive fuses).

NOTE - Most original converters cannot charge a battery properly and will boil the battery if plugged in for extended time (weeks / months). If your leaving the coach plugged into shore power, I would recommend disconnecting and removing the coach battery.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

post-4544-0-56708800-1338981349_thumb.jp

do what waiter says :o). one good thing, if all the 12 volt stuff quit at once, the problem is probably in one place. one other thing that can cause loss of all 12 volt is loss of the ground. at least with trailer lights that usually is the problem. as waiter pointed out, three ways for coach lights to get power; engine running, charged coach battery or shore power through the converter.

my converter has a switched resettable fuse.

and my coach has a switch that goes from battery to converter power near the sink. either of those turn off all the lights.