Kyocera 12 volt 130 watt 7.39 amps max solar panel 175

MAXXFabrication

its always interesting to me that the panels no matter how many watts they have listed as thier rating often only have the same max amp (current) rating and are 12 volt or 24 volt.

I'm not following how they arrive at the watt rating if the max current is almost the same... and some have higher max current ratings but lessor wattage.

They have a strange rating system full sun light, max voltage, low sun light low voltage and some times average output no load etc. I looked at some at a swap meet last week and could not make much sense out of the rating pretty overcast day and unloaded they made 36 volts but dead headed only .02amps (all ways carry my trusty Fluke ). Want to really know dead head the panel in bright sun light with an amp meter.

They have a strange rating system full sun light, max voltage, low sun light low voltage and some times average output no load etc. I looked at some at a swap meet last week and could not make much sense out of the rating pretty overcast day and unloaded they made 36 volts but dead headed only .02amps (all ways carry my trusty Fluke ). Want to really know dead head the panel in bright sun light with an amp meter.

um, you lost me at... well lets just say you lost me!! help.gif

I thought things were pretty straight forward! At least where I've bought all my panels, solarblvd, they post the info in a pretty clear manner. This is for the Solar Cynergy 100 watt panel.

Manufacturer: Solar Cynergy

Cells: with Q-Cells

Model Name: PV-SC100J12-M

Number of Cells: 36 cells in a series (4 x 9)

Max Power: 100W

Open Circuit Voltage (Voc): 21.6V

Short Circuit Current (Isc): 6.46A

Maximum Power Voltage (Vmp): 17.2V

Maximum Power Current (Imp): 5.81A

Weight: 25 pounds

Dimensions (inches): 43.87 x 26.13 x 1.36

Max power volts X amps is 99.932 watts. By using an MPPT type controller, you'll get nearly all this power charging a 12V battery.

Steve

A panel designed to charge 12V batteries does not put out 12V or it couldn't charge the batteries! It needs at least roughly 15V to do so. The voltage that solar panels put out is usually up around 17-20V depending on lighting conditions, etc. This panel puts out it's most power when operating at "Maximum Power Voltage (Vmp): 17.2V Maximum Power Current (Imp): 5.81A", with is where the 99.9 watts comes from. A PWM charge controller limits the voltage going into the battery, depending on the charge condition. When full, it holds the voltage to the proper "float" voltage, which is the ideal voltage for the type of battery in use. This is around 13.5V to 14.2V.

An MPPT type charge controller can get more power out of the panels, as it changes the voltage/amp to the best combination, rather than wasting some of the power. They get about 15-30% more out of the panel to the battery, so although more expensive, can save money over time. Many of this type charge controller can use 24 volt panels on 12V batteries very effectively. Most of the large panels, over 200 watt, are 24V.

Steve

A panel designed to charge 12V batteries does not put out 12V or it couldn't charge the batteries! It needs at least roughly 15V to do so. The voltage that solar panels put out is usually up around 17-20V depending on lighting conditions, etc. This panel puts out it's most power when operating at "Maximum Power Voltage (Vmp): 17.2V Maximum Power Current (Imp): 5.81A", with is where the 99.9 watts comes from. A PWM charge controller limits the voltage going into the battery, depending on the charge condition. When full, it holds the voltage to the proper "float" voltage, which is the ideal voltage for the type of battery in use. This is around 13.5V to 14.2V.

An MPPT type charge controller can get more power out of the panels, as it changes the voltage/amp to the best combination, rather than wasting some of the power. They get about 15-30% more out of the panel to the battery, so although more expensive, can save money over time. Many of this type charge controller can use 24 volt panels on 12V batteries very effectively. Most of the large panels, over 200 watt, are 24V.

Steve

Stephen: Good point and the answer to my question.

Derek: Watts law watts = volts x amps.

Stephen; even if we take the operating voltages they come up short in many cases compared to what they are listed as, was all.

My point being they are always listed on peak full sun, then rounded up etc. folks should be aware of their needs and plan on the reality of panels delivering much less that what they are rated for.

I am quite familiar with the charge controllers and their functions. I use an MPPT type controller and never even opened the unit that came with my panels from Harbor Freight, though I understand it contains some low power lights and various plugs for transformers which could come in handy for charging things without use of an inverter.

of lost with the lights and transformers

Stephen: Good point and the answer to my question.

Derek: Watts law watts = volts x amps.

Stephen; even if we take the operating voltages they come up short in many cases compared to what they are listed as, was all.

My point being they are always listed on peak full sun, then rounded up etc. folks should be aware of their needs and plan on the reality of panels delivering much less that what they are rated for.

I am quite familiar with the charge controllers and their functions. I use an MPPT type controller and never even opened the unit that came with my panels from Harbor Freight, though I understand it contains some low power lights and various plugs for transformers which could come in handy for charging things without use of an inverter.

I'm kind of lost with the lights and the transformers and charging things with out an inverter.

The harbor freight charge controller comes with a transformer and various adaptors; I believe it is 12 volt, 9, 6, 4.3, etc. It also has two ports for a string of low voltage florescent lights. as mentioned though its not a MPPT and many complain that its not efficient and dies soon. I never even opened that part out of the box yet.

The harbor freight charge controller comes with a transformer and various adaptors; I believe it is 12 volt, 9, 6, 4.3, etc. It also has two ports for a string of low voltage florescent lights. as mentioned though its not a MPPT and many complain that its not efficient and dies soon. I never even opened that part out of the box yet.

I try to stay away from anything harbor freight, at least anything I want to use often- had bad experiences with electrics, hydraulic jacks, vices, benders but thats all. it may work a few times but for just a little more money I go with other brands, its like purchasing a little insurance

I try to stay away from anything harbor freight, at least anything I want to use often- had bad experiences with electrics, hydraulic jacks, vices, benders but thats all. it may work a few times but for just a little more money I go with other brands, its like purchasing a little insurance

I totally agree. They are Kleenex tools salesmen 90% of the time. The attraction to their panels in my case was the actual type of panel... Its getting harder and harder to get Amorphous these days and nothing makes power in clouds like amorphous and in November in Bambi season there aint no sun in Michigan. They do what I need them to, on the only week of the year that I need them to. smile.gif