Wondering if anyone can help me in determining if I should change the timing belt on my 1991 Toyota Winnebago Warrior, it only has 82,000 miles on the 3.0 V6. However it is over 20 years old and I do not know if it has ever been changed before since I am not the original owner. I am not having any poblems with it, but someone told me that these should be changed every 60,000 miles. Just in case anyone wants to know, Toyota wants $1,600.77 parts and labor to replace the timing belt, water pump, tension and idler bearings.

The Service Interval for the timing belt is indeed 60k miles. Also at the same interval is to check & adjust the valve clearances (another big job). It makes sense to do them both at the same time because some of the same components need to be removed to do the job. Unfortunately, there's no easy way to check if either 'needs' to be done. No simple test. No warning noises.

Wow good for Toyota go to a good independent probably half that. If you are concerned about valve adjustment do a compression check if you got a tight one it will be lower then the rest bet Toyota would double the price with an added valve adjustment.

look under the hood closely. when the owner before me had it done a sticker was put under the hood with the mileage on it. if it hasn't been changed you probably should do it. the engine is an non-interference so if it does break you won't destroy the engine, just the inconvenience of be left out on the road and added cost to get it home. from stuff i've read on it the replacements have longer lives, read in a couple of places 100,000 miles. they have gotten better at making them i assume. i would ask around to find a good independent shop in your area, there are good ones out there and would save some dollars, at least that is the case in my area.

Some vehicle manufactures have indeed stretch the Service Interval for NEW vehicles to 100k miles and beyond.

http://www.contitech.de/pages/produkte/antriebsriemen/kfz-ersatz/docs/service_poster_wechsel_miles_en.pdf

Notice also that this chart also mentions a Service Interval in Years as well. From 4 to 10 years.

Gates makes a general statement to change them at 6 years. Not 20. :rolleyes:

http://www.gates.com/common/downloads/files/Gates/TimingBeltReplacementChart.pdf

Thanks for the info, anyone have any thoughts on aftermarket versus orignal parts? I have heard goog things about Gates betls and bearings, but I am being told that I should get a factory Toyota water pump.

Lee,

I just today got a quote from my local trusted mechanic/shop for a timing belt, pulleys, and water pump replacement and it came to about $680 total. This was for my 1990 sunrader V6. Hope this helps.

Darrell

Changed the timing belt, tension idler, bearing idler, water pump, thermostat, belts and hoses today on my 1991 Winnebago Warrior 3.0 V6. I paid a friend $300.00 who is a GM mechanic to come and help me. The fact that I could find no signs of the job having been done before, neither through any type of label under the hood in the engine compartment, no handwritten notes from the previous owner in the owners manual and no record of it having been done in Toyota dealership service records, we went ahead and did the job. Once we got in the belt looked okay, no tears, chips or serious signs of wear, but we proceeded ahead since we were so far into it already and found that the water pump had started leaking out the weep hole in the bottom and would have needed to be changed soon. Once we completed the job, we did have some difficulty with air in the cooling system after the initial fill, but we think it is all out now. Only thing left is having my mechanic friend stop back by with a timing light just to check and see if we need to tweak it a bit. I might try to take it on a test run tomorrow to make sure no air is left in the system and no over heating problems.

Here is a breakdown of the cost and some things I found out along the way. Toyota water pump from dealer $115.62, Toyota timing belt $54.52, Toyota thermostat $26.58, had the tension and bearing idler from a Goodyear timing belt kit I bought some time ago and can't remember what I paid for those but the manufacturer of the of the idlers were GMB, I noticed Koyo brand bearings were on the ones that came off. Also replaced the A/C, power steering and alternator belts and all the hoses while we had it apart. The belts and hoses were another $125.00 and we used Gates brand.

From the research I did and the helpful information from the community here, it seems that the consensus of most is that Gates makes good belts and hoses. Also, I found some listings on Ebay that sold Aisin water pumps and read that they were the same manufacturer as the Toyota water pumps. When we took off the factory pump, sure enough it was an Aisin pump. I guess I might have been able to save some money by buying one of those timing belt kits online that have the Gates timing belt and the Aisin water pump, but I am just glad the job is done. Guess i'm good for another 6 years / 60,000 miles. Thanks again to all who responded, great community and great information.