Non-starting 90 oddysey

jack  sturges

I routinely start our odyssey every 3-4 weeks & move it a few feet to rotate the tires. Yesterday, it did not start. Not only did it not start, it didn't even turn over. Not even a clicking solenoid! The only sound came from the ECM on the right hand side panel. Also, I noticed the check engine icon was lit on the dash. I checked battery voltage, a bit low at 12.3 Volts, so I put a charger on & tried after a full charge. Same result.

Could this be a short to ground? I noticed that the radio was resetting after each attemt to start & the battery voltage was also lower.

Any help from the gearhead gallery is appreciated.

What is your batt voltage when you try to start.

Kind of points toward the battery, but check other stuff first.

A battery with a high resistance cell could read fully charged until you try and put a load on it.

Check connections on battery, (remove and clean).

Try jump start.

try swap battery with coach battery.

Theres a chance it could be a shorted starter, If you get the same results when you try and jump start, I would look at the starter.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I would lean toward a bad battery. I had my Ford Ranger refuse to do anything with a bad battery. I would click but nothing else. I tried jump starting and it wouldn't do anything. My neighbor came over and suggested switching out the truck battery with a spare that I had sitting in the garage. The truck fired right up and ran great. I never heard of a vehicle that would not turn over when jumped but then again, I am not a mechanic. I learned that you always try a different battery before spending big money on a mechanic.

Modern batteries don't act like old ones did they used to gave you some warning but not any more! They do last a lot longer though.

Modern batteries don't act like old ones did they used to gave you some warning but not any more! They do last a lot longer though.

To all the responders: thanks for the input.

The battery voltage was 13,7 after charging. It just seems odd that the starter solenoid is not even clicking when trying to start the engine

I will try to jump start and report back.

jack