Swap AC unit for skylight?

outside

Is there a company out there that makes a skylight that fits the AC opening? I mostly travel in the northwest so i don't really need AC. Also, I am always dry camping which makes the unit worthless. It would be really nice to lose all that extra weight and gain some headroom!

As far as I know, roof A/C is always installed in the 'standard' 14" square skylight opening. The only thing I'll add is that one manufacturer (Winnebago?) has a slightly different opening with radiused corners that need squaring off before the industry standard 14" vent will fit. If you can afford it, consider installing a 'Fan-tastic' vent with fan.

http://www.fantasticvent.com/

I did just what you want to do. I got rid of my AC unit and installed a standard 14" vent in its place. I couldn't afford a Fantastic Fan or I would have installed that instead. The hardest part was getting the AC unit off the roof without damaging it. I was by myself and managed to slowly slide it down an extension ladder that I had against the side of the motorhome. The vent fit just fine but I had to cut down the plastic inside trim ring because it was made for a more modern RV with a thicker roof. Don't forget to get the special sealing goo with the vent. There's a type that is only meant for horizontal surfaces (like roofs) since after you apply it with a caulking gun, it flows a little bit, getting into all the little crevices around the vent. Be sure and squirt some on top of every screw head, too.

John

p.s.

If anyone's travelling through Kalispell, MT. this Summer, there's a free, working 13,500 AC unit for the taking.

J

I, too, removed my non-working rooftop ac, from my 84 Dolphin. I put in a regular roof vent, years ago, and have been a happy camper, since. No need for ac and now my rig's lighter and more aerodynamic. More headroom, too. What's not to like? B)

I was in the exact situation. what s the point of camping with ac power next to someone else?

i do that at home!

i threw away the AC and cleaned up the edges of the opening and caulked in a $ 4 plexiglass .

theres my skylight

works great cheap fix

i put a roll up shade on it for summers when the sun bakes through & i m good to go

Is there a company out there that makes a skylight that fits the AC opening? I mostly travel in the northwest so i don't really need AC. Also, I am always dry camping which makes the unit worthless. It would be really nice to lose all that extra weight and gain some headroom!