Before I spend the day googleing for replacement antenaes maybe someone here has had success. 1990 dolphin, broken between fender and coach. exact replacements available or just get a side mount generic that is long enough to reach the coach or will a short one be just fine? thanks

National, for some reason, chose to not just use a standard antenna in the factory fender hole. Rather they made a new hole for a side mount antenna. The length and location of the side mount is such that it just clears the front of the overhead bunk area. To stop the antenna hitting the overhead, they added a rubber 'bumper/stand-off' with a hole through it that the antenna mast passes through. Hard to describe, I'm trying to find a picture to post.

I'm understanding that the antenna mast has broken somewhere between the 'side mount' hole and the rubber 'bumper'.

it did break between where it mounted on the side of the fender and bumper on the coach. for now i was able to lower the next section so that the expanded part, about 2 inches long, is right at the break and it seems to work fine. not sure how long it will last, maybe longer than the rig :rolleyes: so at least for now i'll just let it be. was able to clean the end where it comes together and looks good unless you inspect closely. someday i may mounting a new one, found a few that would be close enough to work as a side mount.

• 1 month later...

Just wondering if you have looked at the connection end?? I have the same one, but when I was messing about behind the radio I found a CB thingy... Just wondering if that came stock on the Dolphins...

100_2172.jpg

Bunny;

This looks like a splitter so you can use the car radio antenna for a CB. I don't think this is standard, somebody added it.

I bought one that does just the opposite, I have a splitter that allows me to use a CB antenna for the car radio.

Fender Antenna

I have a fender antenna, when I extend it, it will hit the cabover. I installed one of those plastic door holder things (The kind that holds the compartment doors open) on the cabover so the antenna wouldn't hit it. The antenna was still pretty crappy, so I bought a splitter so I could use my CB antenna for the car radio.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto