Screw reinforcement

dolphindriver

I have some screws into the walls of the motor-home that are loose and need to be replaced. Some are from the outside in (city water hook-up) and some are inside (the screws that hold the cabinets up).

The screw holes are old/loose so I cannot just put in the same size screw.

I know that I can just put in one size up bigger screw, but I am wondering if there is some other way to reinforce the screw hole. I have an 88 Dolphin - so it it that type of construction. Is there anything I can spray into the holes, let set up and then screw into or some other method that people have used that worked.

Thanks,

In many places, there is nothing behind the screw, so your just running a screw into a 1/8 piece of plywood, or a 1/16 inch piece of fiberglass.

One trick I use, get a larger diameter screw and start it in the hole, then remove it, Now squirt "Liquid Nails" into the hole, and also a little bit on the screw, then run the screw back in. SNUG, do not overtight

Sometimes, if theres room on the inside, you can put a small strip of 1/2 plywood, and use a long screw all the way through the wall and into the plywood. Again, not to tight, just snug.

ALSO - try a new location, i.e if you can twist the city water connection, about 20 degrees, now you can screw into fresh fiberglass instead of the old hole, Same for the cabinets, run a couple new screws in at new locations, and then use a larger screw at the old location just to plug the hole.

If you can twist the city water connection, you may want to take it off, clean the surfaces, and apply new sealant to it.. I use a urethane adhesive/sealant caulking for all exterior stuff,

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Regarding the city water hookup, open up your floor cabinets and see if you can

see where there city water hookup comes in and if you can reach it. If so, you

can always put a piece of wood or sheet metal around the openning from the inside

and then screw into it from the outside. Coat the wood or sheet metal with Gorilla

glue or liquid nails first.

Dennis...

Thanks for the replies John and Dennis,

Good helpful hints. I did not have any Liquid Nails, so I just used wood glue - not quite as strong - but I think it will hold up OK. Still having a little trouble with the screws for the furnace exhaust - as I have to use those screw holes. Probably John's hint of using adhesive for caulking will work the best.

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

Yes I love toothpicks and teriyaki sticks too. The wood is soft though and can break down. If I really need a solid surface to screw into, I fill the hole with bondo let it dry and start from scratch drilling a new hole.

LS

Whenever I have this problem, I get toothpicks and break em' off inside inside the hole until it's completely filled in. Now you have a good surface for the screw to bite into again. Good as new.