Window lockstrip (outside gasket) problem

dolphindriver

Hello All,

I have a 89 Dolphin that has been sitting/not maintained for a long time in the high desert. On all the RV windows the lockstrip (or outside gasket) has shrunk and is pulling away from the corners.

What are my options?

1. Do I have to do anything - or does the lockstrip provide a water seal as well?

2. If I have to replace - what are the pros and cons of replacing with new lockstrip/gasket or just using a window sealer to fill the gap (I think waiter did it with window adhesive on his front window).

3. If I have to get lockstrip - how hard is it to install.

Sorry for the multiple questions.

Cheers,

Take a look at this thread:

http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=4335

The windows come out very easily. I would start with a small one first so you get a fell for it.

There is a video on YouTube that shows how to pop the window out and re-seal it. My windows (and probably yours) were similar construction as the video, but the method of sealing was not the same. Mine had foam around the inside, and a urethane sealant. The windows were not sealed at the bottom (They are now)

I would stay clear of Silicone and latex, use urethane

Reseal RV Window Video

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Thanks for the video John. It is helpful for resealing the whole window frame. I think my window frame seal is fine.

But I just have the outside lockstrip on the window itself (that little black piece of rubber that presses against the glass/plastic on the outside) that has shrunk. I don't know if I need to do anything - or if when I replace it I can use a sealant/caulk or if I have to use new lockstrip (a bit pricey at least $1.00 foot).

Cheers

OH, Your talking about the rubber keeper that holds the window in the frame.

Not a big deal. The rubber is not water tight. just make sure the drains on the bottom of the frame are clear.

ALSO - I would not attempt to seal it, this could trap water behind it. On your fron and rear windows, they do not have drains, make sure the seam is at the bottom of the window to allow water to drain.

You'll have a problem with the front window because of the angle, water will tend to drain behind the window, then pool and flow over the top of the frame extrusion, fill up the inside extrusion, then overflow and leak all over the inside.

The only cure for this is the window must be pulled out of the frame, and sealant then applied on both sides of the window.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

• 2 weeks later...

OH, Your talking about the rubber keeper that holds the window in the frame.

Not a big deal. The rubber is not water tight. just make sure the drains on the bottom of the frame are clear.

ALSO - I would not attempt to seal it, this could trap water behind it. On your fron and rear windows, they do not have drains, make sure the seam is at the bottom of the window to allow water to drain.

You'll have a problem with the front window because of the angle, water will tend to drain behind the window, then pool and flow over the top of the frame extrusion, fill up the inside extrusion, then overflow and leak all over the inside.

The only cure for this is the window must be pulled out of the frame, and sealant then applied on both sides of the window.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I too have issues with water penetration into the front cap with no clear point of entry. My plan is to reseal side windows with butyl seal. On front window I have to replace the plastic since it's cracked. I don't have access to shop but I know someone in Houston that makes motorcycle windshields & will check if he can make mine.

1.) Ideas on what a shop should charge to make window? Anybobody have a source I could purchase from?

2.) Any specific type/brand on butyl seal?

3.) Where can I get replacement gasket for front window? Winnebego says not vailable....'91 warrior

Thanks.

Greg

Edited by vrocrider

OK, put your cheapskate hat on. Buy enough rubber seal to do one window. Take the old strip and use it to fill the gaps on the other windows after you have pushed the strips back into place. This way all the strip is pre aged and wont shrink any more :rolleyes:. Seriously it works fine because its not the actual seal.

Same subject different note you can drill weep holes in the front window frames, one in each corner will do a lot to reduce leaks.