seats that will fit in cab

longwater

I have a 87 sunrader that has very cushioned seats,they are in great shape.The problem is I need more leg room,now Im only 5'10" and my legs aren't that long.I have had other toyota pickups and haven't had any problems,but on long drives in the sunrader my knees start hurting.I think the padding is keeping me from being able to extend my legs out.I hate to replace the seats,but we are planing a long trip next summer and I want to be comfortable.If anyone has had this problem I would like to hear your solution.

I know exactly what you're talking about. I felt like I had my knees shoved up into my chin. Very uncomfortable. My thought was the seat is fine, it's the location that was poor.

I remounted the seat sliding mechanism further aft on the mounts. It will require a bit of mig welding and a sawzall (to wack off the seat from the slider) to accomplish but the effort is well worth it. I kept my original seat and original mounting points.

I've attached some pics to show what I did. You'll have to compare my re-mount with your original to see what was done. In the 'side view' pic, the piece of vertical 1/2" square tubing was added to give additional support to the sliding mechanism, since it is moved back 2-1/2". I welded a piece of 1/8" X 1/2" flat bar into the slider for the extension. The rear just overhangs and there is no support issue.

If you don't weld, maybe a couple of six packs to a buddy would do the trick.

I can stretch out now. Ahhhh.....

I have a 87 sunrader that has very cushioned seats,they are in great shape.The problem is I need more leg room,now Im only 5'10" and my legs aren't that long.I have had other toyota pickups and haven't had any problems,but on long drives in the sunrader my knees start hurting.I think the padding is keeping me from being able to extend my legs out.I hate to replace the seats,but we are planing a long trip next summer and I want to be comfortable.If anyone has had this problem I would like to hear your solution.

post-4694-0-35422300-1325556038_thumb.jp

post-4694-0-03739700-1325556059_thumb.jp

post-4694-0-16316600-1325556091_thumb.jp

Had the same issue with my 86 sunrader, made even a little worse by the prelude seats i installed.

With me, it doesn't matter if I can stretch, my right knee aches after a few hours. My other vehicles have cruise control which allows me to move my leg around which helps greatly. Many old toyhomes have cruise, but, it doesn't work. You might consider getting it working.

Another option is to sell it and find a '90 or newer. My '90 Odyssey cab is ginormous compared to the '86. All the room I could hope for.

Yes the later models are a lt bigger.

I had an 87 no leg room now an 92 plenty of leg room and the seat has room to be reclined.

Had the same issue with my 86 sunrader, made even a little worse by the prelude seats i installed.

With me, it doesn't matter if I can stretch, my right knee aches after a few hours. My other vehicles have cruise control which allows me to move my leg around which helps greatly. Many old toyhomes have cruise, but, it doesn't work. You might consider getting it working.

Another option is to sell it and find a '90 or newer. My '90 Odyssey cab is ginormous compared to the '86. All the room I could hope for.

Thanks for the replys,I might try the spacers,but I like the fabricated brackets.I don't have a welder but I have thought about one of the cheaper wire feed welders that I have

seen.It would be cheaper to buy one than buy my friend beer.As I said I have had other toy pickups and never had a problem with leg room.My rader is in great shape with low miles so I wouldn't want to get rid of it . I have cruise but I never use it, I prefer to drive on state routes rather than interstates.

I just have to find a fix before summer. I wonder if replacing the seat tracks or remounting the existing ones might work.