My (first ever) Toyota RV

First off, I would like to say hello to everyone here on this forum as i just found it.

i just bought this rv 2 months ago and in the process of fixing it up. As i always have been a huge fan of these small motohomes, I just had to buy it. :ThumbUp:

here's the catch, I am not a car fix it person at all (No knowledge of fixing cars)

(But i am very big fan of rebuilding things and construction working and eletronics)

I stripped the roof and inside of everything so i can have much less drag / better gas mileage.

(also re-covered the roof with rv sealer stuff i found at menards)

(and started to rebuild the unit how i want / need it inside to fit all the equipment we would need to run a concert )

we are turning it into a mobile dj booth to use at fairs and festivals for bands and things + place to hang out until show starts / camper. lol

These little rv are just awesome and i thought it would make a perfect little mobile sound studio / dj booth.

I Drove it 53 miles home the day we bought it and did not have any problems except i had to spray starter fuild into the carb to start it everytime.

(Still have to do this even to this day for some reason)

What do you think is the reason why i would have to spray starter fuild into the carb to get it to start?

What are some things i could fix / check to see if thats the problem.

1985 toyota rader

22r engine

4 speed manual transmission

6 lug axle wheels

I would really like to get this road ready for next year. (The band is waiting for the new mobile dj booth for the shows) :ranting2:

Here is the toyota that we bought. As you can see, I rebuilt everything from the walls, ceiling, bed,floors, insulation, etc.... inside the motorhome because i feel pretty good at construction working.

(plus this is just the first level of rebuilding the inside and much more will be done to make it a full sound studio for the road)

(Just need some help of the engine starting part) :help:

Thank you very much for your help on making this my favorite dj station / home on the road ever.

post-5893-0-20407600-1322752778_thumb.jp

post-5893-0-38186000-1322752787_thumb.jp

Edited by new RVowner

it has to be a problem with carb, fuel pump or line between pump and carb. if your not into working on engines then check your checking account balance and take it to a shop you trust. for some reason your carb isn't retaining any fuel. ie weak pump, leaky line or carb problems. the $100 you spend for diagnosis will probably save you more than that replacing stuff that isn't the problem.

Carb for sure. I never go with rebuilt ones, especially if they are old and worn. Even with new parts they can still have problems. I bought a new Holley carb for my 20r and it works great. Cost about $260. Bought off ebay.

AFAIK, the Holley 2BBL downdraft carbs are made under license from Weber. So you could look for either.

Probably something like this:-

http://www.ebay.com/...=item1e67e444c5

I wouldn't suggest this:-

http://www.ebay.com/...=item3f10bb435e

or this:-

http://www.ebay.com/...=item1e68f90520

Thanks for the quick reply, I also found this guy on ebay:

My link to ebay

100% feedback, Will this carb work for me?

I'm going to say "maybe". This is obviously a Chinese knock-off of the Weber/Holley carb. The jets as sold might or MIGHT NOT be right for your application. This is also for the carb only. You'll also need an adapter plate between the carb and manifold and also an air filter to fit. Possibly, also some other important bits included in the 'Kits' on EBay. Though a knock off, is it 100%? Would you be able to get replacement parts?

"I think fit ..." in his description would make me nervous!

You might want to save the following for if/when you get a Weber.

http://www.redlinewe..._lean_best_.htm

I think you can guess which one I'd chose!

Ihave owend two webber carbs.when you go too a good local dealer they set up the webber with the right jets. and the corr ect manifold addapter . i do not know the holly myself. the webber has enjoyed a long and famous life. widly used in europe and here .I would have too agree with Derek . i prefer to buy things like that not off e bay in case of problems i can be face to face

red line thats the name i rember but they are sold around here through other named parts houses. i bought an air filter at an independt forgen parts store but that name was on the packge . never had one on a 22r have one the 20r minimax .Possibly that dgv series

If you have to spray it the choke does not work. Remove the lid to the air filter press the gas to the floor once and let it up the butter fly in the top of the cab must close all the way and should give some resistance if you try to open it with your finger. If it does not it's gummed up or improperly adjusted. There is a device that open the choke a bit once the engine fires but not running is should be all the way closed.