The tire shops I have been to stock a "universal" type stem. This type of stem is too large to fit the stem hole in the Toyota wheel. Also the seal is different. Toyota uses an o-ring seal.

Recently I had new tires mounted. While I was in the shop, I pulled an original stems and tried to fit several types that the tire shop had in stock. Nothing fit.

Did you really get stems at an auto parts store when you changed out your stems?

Just about any auto parts store worth their salt will have them beyond that a truck stop.

twoblocked

Anyone know of a source for the bent brass valve stem and o-ring found on the 1 ton 6 lug wheel?I just had one break off at the cap end.

I had a time finding replacements for ours, ended up buying fron the local Toyota dealer. Brass is the same, O ring slightly different.

vanman

The tire shops I have been to stock a "universal" type stem. This type of stem is too large to fit the stem hole in the Toyota wheel. Also the seal is different. Toyota uses an o-ring seal.

Recently I had new tires mounted. While I was in the shop, I pulled an original stems and tried to fit several types that the tire shop had in stock. Nothing fit.

Did you really get stems at an auto parts store when you changed out your stems?

Went right to NAPA. The tires when I bought it had rubber stems and some metal stems so I replaced them all. Yes they are 6 bolt Toyota wheels. Don't know about an "O" ring Toyota seal but if they are good enough for an 18 wheeler I figured they should be fine for my little MH.

vanman,

I checked the Toyota online parts catalog but they didn't show the bent brass stem.

I'll head down to the local dealer.

Thanks

twoblocked

I had a time finding replacements for ours, ended up buying fron the local Toyota dealer. Brass is the same, O ring slightly different.

vanman

maineah,

NAPA does indeed sell a METRIC brass valve stem for the 9.7mm (3/8") bore hole in our wheels. They are made by Haltec.

American light truck wheel bore holes start at 7/16" and go to 5/8" with a 13/16" bore for the "18 wheelers"

Thanks

Yeah, I thought of that. But I think there might be an issue with sealing against a diminished area.

Here's a few shots to explain.

Notice Toyota already had to dimple the wheel to make the 9.7mm stem fit properly inside.

Do you think a 7/16" would fit?

Nothing a 7/16" drill bit wouldn't take care of!

post-4694-0-27441300-1322246591_thumb.jp

post-4694-0-80791700-1322246609_thumb.jp

post-4694-0-23657000-1322246629_thumb.jp

twoblocked

Yeah, I thought of that. But I think there might be an issue with sealing against a diminished area.Here's a few shots to explain.Notice Toyota already had to dimple the wheel to make the 9.7mm stem fit properly inside.Do you think a 7/16" would fit?

I would not drill that fitting. The 7 I got from Toyota have a slot cut in the center to retain the stem when tightening the collar nut, the old type have flats machined on the sides which I prefered to the slot which requires use of a screwdriver.

vanman

twoblocked

Anyone know of a source for the bent brass valve stem and o-ring found on the 1 ton 6 lug wheel? I just had one break off at the cap end.

I was at the dealer to pick up the last lugnut and after thinking about it I decided to order a new stem to replace the one the dealer barfed up,(I had a tire shop replace the new one with one of the original ones). I will try to get them to cover the cost, $13.99, as I paid for 7 new ones and installation of same!!!!! Anyway I asked him to look up my old invoices to get the number and he said it was 90942-05026, hope this helps, btw I did not dig up my copies of the invoice to verify this, but he was sure it's the correct#, we will C.

vanman...to be changed to RVman in the future....

• 7 months later...