Hi all--just received estimates from local Toyota dealer for a little preventative maintenance I have planned. $899. to adjust valves on my 1992 Itasca V-6, includes all gaskets. $680. to replace the timing belt which includes new water pump. Do these sound reasonable for the work involved?

It's a lot of work and you'll need all new shims. The belt price seems high to me that job is pretty easy they have to have all that stuff apart any way.

I'm just finishing up this work on my '92 Itasca (V6 '91 chassis, 75,000 miles)

Retail parts prices for belt, thermostat, pump, tensioner and idler from Toyota are approx $520.

Tensioner and idler are $275 by themselves.

Amazon, for comparison is about $300 for a complete kit and eBay with Aisin pump (OEM) and kit, $160.

If you are getting all new Toyota parts (including tensioner and idler) $680 sounds reasonable with parts running $520.

The valve inspect and adjust seems a little high. However it is a slow tedious job, has to be done on a cold engine and can tie up a dealers work bay for a day or two if shims have to be ordered from Toyota Los Angeles.

I used all Toyota gaskets and shims ($12.50 each, I needed 6) All together ran about $150 for parts on the valve adjust. So you can see there is a lot of blue sky in the dealers estimate here.

How many miles on your rig? What is the dealers hourly shop rate?

It's unfortunate that the valve maintenance costs are so high on this particular engine. But if you put it off, there is a good probability of burning exhaust valves at some point in the future. All my exhaust valves were too tight, and WELL beyond specifications. Next up for me would have been burnt #1 and #6 exhaust valves.

Hi all--just received estimates from local Toyota dealer for a little preventative maintenance I have planned. $899. to adjust valves on my 1992 Itasca V-6, includes all gaskets. $680. to replace the timing belt which includes new water pump. Do these sound reasonable for the work involved?

if you have or know of an independent shop you trust i'd get another estimate on both. at least in my area dealers tend to be high on many repairs that are not overly specific to a given make. for what you need done, someone good with a wrench is what you need. an independent might be a little hungrier too. an independent might let you go out and buy your own parts too.