Anybody ran into this? I have a 79 Sunrader with a 20R. I just took it from South Dakota to Washington and it ran pretty well. No overheating and no white smoke in the exhaust. But now it runs really poorly on start up so I checked to oil it was a quart low, added a quart and when I checked it later and it was low again. Then it appeared to end up in the overflow reservoir. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I read somewhere that the timing chain can start to sag over time and cause this. There still is no white smoke in the exhaust and no coolant in the oil which gives me hope it is not a blown head gasket.

20 R motors had a bad oil ring setup on the pistons. The original pistons and rings were a bad design and defective from the factory. A better replacement piston and ring set was installed in mine last month and now I don't burn anymore oil. Blow-bye your pistons burns off and hence you consume oil. As far as oil in the radiator, it may have accumulated there over time. A blown head gasket would show white on a spark plug just as oil will show up as well. So start there. Any pressure in your cooling system is a good indication of blown head gasket, like bubbles in your radiator. I recommend you look at the internals of the motor as I did. My Huntsman only has 27K original miles and it burned a quart every 300 miles before I changed the pistons and rings.

Timing case will leak water into the sump but not oil into the water I suspect a leaking head gasket the oil pressure is higher then coolant pressure. Head gasket job is pretty easy on a 20R.

• 2 weeks later...

hi have had three 2oR toyotas if someone changed the gasket before and put on a felpro brand and nota factory gasket they stated on the gasket permatorqe never retorqe this is crap my 20r wagen blue a head gasket a friend a longtime toyota mec and owener told that probly my problem and it was side by side felproe not made as good water rings etc etc with the factory gasket you drive 1000 miles and retorqe all head bolts idrove it 15 years 200.000 no more problem he said felpro aways blow just never know when 2 years about and the chain on the 20r is a double wide roller chain the later 22r and 22re only have a single wide rollor chain do not last as good 20r can easy do 200.ooo miles i have done a 20r head gasket myself set on top dead center no1 remove dist thereis a hiden bolt under the distributor shaft inside the thing to look for is corrosion on the head i have seen extrem cases of the head being all ate up from never changing anti freze if you need help put a phone number on my profile i will give you tec help just bought my sixth toyota all four cyl hayens book good keep timing chain tight a third person two too lift of fhead read books use head bolt chart never heard of the ring thing never h a doil problem

hi have had three 2oR toyotas if someone changed the gasket before and put on a felpro brand and nota factory gasket they stated on the gasket permatorqe never retorqe this is crap my 20r wagen blue a head gasket a friend a longtime toyota mec and owener told that probly my problem and it was side by side felproe not made as good water rings etc etc with the factory gasket you drive 1000 miles and retorqe all head bolts idrove it 15 years 200.000 no more problem he said felpro aways blow just never know when 2 years about and the chain on the 20r is a double wide roller chain the later 22r and 22re only have a single wide rollor chain do not last as good 20r can easy do 200.ooo miles i have done a 20r head gasket myself set on top dead center no1 remove dist thereis a hiden bolt under the distributor shaft inside the thing to look for is corrosion on the head i have seen extrem cases of the head being all ate up from never changing anti freze if you need help put a phone number on my profile i will give you tec help just bought my sixth toyota all four cyl hayens book good keep timing chain tight a third person two too lift of fhead read books use head bolt chart never heard of the ring thing never h a doil problem

Wow! 230 words in 1 sentence, must be some kind of record.

pardon me for the long post soory i am better with wrenches. then grammer and spelling. and computors