microwave

Tony D.

Has anyone tried a Sharp half pint microwave. They have a 14 by 12 inch base and handle a 10.5 inch plate. Just wonder how good they are. New ones on Amazon about 160 and used one on Ebay for around 80 to an 100. I also found a "iWave cube" that has a base of 10 by 12 with no carousel. the inside is only about 8 by 8 inches and cost new about s100,00. Since space is limited I wondered what others are using. My wife complains about me usuing to much counter space.

TDS

i have an old wards sharp turntable 500 watt minimicrowave have used a few times even run on my 850 watt shucks 2 cycle generator very compact put on counter or put under table seat paid 159 dollors in 1987 and still works is about that size

I haven't tried that model. This is the smallest one we could find. Its about 12 deep by 16 wide by 10 tall.

I use a bungee cord to hold it down. The hold down s are actually cabinet door handles that I screwed into the top of the Refrigerator cabinet.

Note there are two wall plugs. The brown one is shore power, the gray one is my 1500 watt inverter.

post-4544-0-40997300-1320201871_thumb.jp

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

i went the cheap route. i got the smallest 700 watt from wally world for $48.00. takes 10" plate, have only used for popcorn using a 2000 honda generator, pulls alot more than 700 to start up, made the generator kick off of econo setting and had to rev up each cycle on popcorn setting :o). haven't tried but just using it on high and listening would keep it from cycling and creating a bigger draw on AC. i put velcro on the bottom and that holds it in place just fine. take the turntable out or cushion it, likes to bounce going down the road.

I got small micro from Walmart for 29 bucks on sale. I put it on my fridge top and still have room for my 19 in Lcd tv/dvd combo on top of the micro. Works great. :D

About 2.5 years ago, I too brought ours from Walmart, It is a GE Stainless Steel 0.7 CF 700W model. I got it for $55.

I removed a cabinet door above the kitchen and mounted it inside. This way it does not take up any counter space, and I do not have to worry about securing it when I am driving. I have 4 "L" brackets holding it in. The two top brackets have long screws going into the ceiling so help support the added weight.

http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?app=gallery&module=images§ion=viewimage&img=1523

Note: The apparent scratches that appear in the picture is actually the protective plastic film. It has since been removed, and looks much better.

Thanks guys!

Waiter - I like reading about all your modifications too, and especially your blog to Alaska! 11K miles, wow!

Tony D. - I have never hear of the iWave cube, a very interesting microwave!

Regards,

Allen

Allen;

Thanks - We used the Microwave a lot, It worked great on the inverter, as did the Coffee pot (just can't do them at the same time)

For anyone interested, the Alaska trip was the reason we bought the Toyhouse.

Check out the Alaska Trip blog here:

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

• 1 month later...

Not all of the food is actually hit by microwaves. In a microwave oven, the microwaves only penetrate an inch or so into the food, and the intensity falls of as it gets deeper into the food. On the other hand, bacteria typically are found only on the outside of the food.

However, the microwaves are heating up the food, and heat can kill bacteria and mold. But again, not all of the food in a microwave necessarily gets hot enough to kill bacteria.

If you are concerned about bacteria, one way to help take care of it is to add a teaspoon or so of water to the dish, and then cover it with plastic wrap. The water will turn into steam, which is a very good bacteriocide, and which can permeate the food better than simple heat can.

But if the food was stored in a refrigerator, and hasn't been allowed to stay at room temperature very long, and especially if it doesn't smell bad, you are probably fine.

By the way, bacteria and mold aren't universally bad for you. In fact the vast majority of bacteria are neutral, and some are necessary for your health. A whole lot of bacteria lives in your gut, helping digest food and ward off stomach cancer, believe it or not. They are called "probiotics. Any bacteria that kills the animal it is living in won't last very long.

Mold is a little different, since mold doesn't typically live inside your body. But even so, most mold isn't bad for you. In fact you often eat various types of mold and yeast in your food. Mold can cause problems for you if it happens to create substances that your body finds toxic or allergenic.

But again, your body has all sorts of mechanisms to help you fight off these pathogens. They are working day and night, without your knowing, and they generally work very well.