I think that I need to buy a new kickdown cable. When the transmission downshifts the cable hangs and will not always pull back into the housing for the cable. That results in not being able to shift back up into the highter gears. I then have to stop and feed the cable back in by hand. It does not happen often but can be very frutrating in trafic. Does anyone have a sources for buying a new cable. I have tried NAPA, and O'Riley's but neither has a listing for a new cable.

We tried tolubricate it but that seems to be only a temporary fix. Would like tochange if if possible.

I hate to say this but I think your only source is going to be Toyota, maybe a junk yard or even a transmission shop might be worth a try it's possible a trans shop has an aftermarket source they are not cheap well over $100.

Hi Tony

I am having the same problem with mine, (see post from last week) Maineah is right you have to buy the cable from a Toyota dealer, I had mine replaced 2 years ago, I paid $125 for mine in Oregon, up here in BC the same cable cost twice as much with tax.

At the moment I have mine disconnected and tied up to the hood, with the hood open, every day I drop some transmission oil between the cable and the outer housing, hoping maybe to free it up some.

I found this site below, hope it helps someone with trans problem, it does give you an idea what the detent cable is fastened to in the oil pan.

Mike

http://www.hilux4x4.co.za/manual/2_4Hilux/Chapter14_AUTOMATIC_TRANSMISSION.pdf

It maybe worth the effort to remove the cable and try to free it up if it's not damaged, either way it has to come out. There is a plastic liner so if it's cut inside there is no fixing it but maybe with a friend helping sildeing it back and forth full travel you may free it up.

Been there done that :rolleyes: But don't chinze, buy a offical Toyota cable, your trans. is to expensive to mess it up, I don't know why these cables go bad buy I am on my second on in 5 years and about 7,000 miles, maybe the lack of use? Paid around $100 for a new cable, Siliconed the heck out of both ends befor installation. I hope the latest cable last much longer. I just feel lucky that the cable was still available.

Been there done that :rolleyes: But don't chinze, buy a offical Toyota cable, your trans. is to expensive to mess it up, I don't know why these cables go bad buy I am on my second on in 5 years and about 7,000 miles, maybe the lack of use? Paid around $100 for a new cable, Siliconed the heck out of both ends befor installation. I hope the latest cable last much longer. I just feel lucky that the cable was still available.

Maineah, We have tried the lubrication route and it begin to work about 90% of the time for about four or five months then begin sticking again. My mechanic said that it is groved inside and that is why it continues to stick. .

Wistoy, I have tried several places but have not been able to find a new one yet. I was told that Toyota no longer makes these. Where did you buy yours.

Toyota Dealership in Wausau, WI

Maineah, We have tried the lubrication route and it begin to work about 90% of the time for about four or five months then begin sticking again. My mechanic said that it is groved inside and that is why it continues to stick. .

Wistoy, I have tried several places but have not been able to find a new one yet. I was told that Toyota no longer makes these. Where did you buy yours.