I have a 91 warrior that i bought 3 months ago with 37000 miles on it. on my first trip(800miles), i noticed the p.s. pump was noisey. it never changed when you turned the wheel back and forth at all. I have taken on 3 morre short trips and results are the same. i t starts quiet but gets louder after it warms up.

p.s. i crossed my fingers on the long trip and was fine, but it is just alittle loud for me. i checked at the parts houses and they don't list one? the dealer wants 350$$

any ideas??

Before youo start changing parts, make sure that the power steering fluid is at the proper level. A friend of mine was going to get his ps pump changed and happened to mention it to me. We added fluid and the noise went away. He saved about $500. It sounds simple, but sometimes that is all it is.

MAKE SURE YOU USE THE RIGHT FLUID!!! Toyota does not use power steering fluid.

WME, Thanks for that information. I did a short search and all of the sites said that you use Dextron II tranny fluid for the power steering. Without your input I probably would have thought to use regular PS fluid.

I love this site, it keeps me from making dumb mistakes before I even have a problem.

Bob

Inside of the tank for the power steering fluid there is a very fine screen if the pump is noisy it's probably plugged up. If that is not the case NAPA should have the pump take the old one with you they look the same but the fitting placement is different it will be a lot less then $350.

How do clean it? A toyota parts guy told me that but havent dug into it. do you have to take the reservoir off?

Thanks as usual!!! my wife says "you love that site" dont you!