Rear Battery

PirateHoratio

Welcome what all are you meaning and yes the coach battery should recieve a charge when the engine is running also when you plug in to shore power the convertor puts out 12 volts the water pump the furnec and the lights are 12 volt and some friges can run on 12 volt do not run a frige on 12 volt unless the enguine is running they drain the batt quick with frige on gas you can get a while just lights and pump the furnec draws a little more three cold nights i might run my small generator say 3 to 4 hours make shure you get the best rv deep cycle you can get do not use a car battery for the coach

Dylan, Welcome to the forum;

As 5toyota said;

Yes, the 12 volt battery does run several things, Water-pump, Blower on the furnace, all the lights,

Optional equipment also run by 12 volts, Frig, Range vent hood fan, roof vent fan.

When you plugged into shore power, there is a small 12 volt power supply (Called a Converter) that charges the battery and supplies power to the 12 volt devices.

When the truck is running, there is a mechanical relay (Isolator) that connects the coach 12 volt system to the trucks 12 volt system. The truck then charges the coach battery and also supplies 12 volts to the coach.

The Coach battery needs to be a "Deep Cycle" type battery. (Marine battery) These can be run down very low and be recharged. A regular car battery won't survive this deep cycle.

John Mc'88 Dolphin 4 Auto

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Guys,

The top air conditioning unit is also run off the battery? I supposed you only have a/c when your plugged in.

Now this is an interesting question.

Do they make something that you can hook up to the LP tank and convert the gas directly into electricity,

so that you can use all electric appliances. If this imaginary machine i created in my head does not exist, i might make it!!

Thanks again guys!

Especially for the warm warm toyota welcome.

PS> Just got my toyota running... been sitting for about 10 years... replaced the gas pump and gas lines... new air filter.

started right up like a toyota should. Still got a lot of mechanical work to do before we start the inside!! Just thinking ahead..

Yeah it's called a propane generator! Actually there is but it has not been perfected to the point of being viable for use in some thing like a MH yet most often they are run on hydrogen and they are called fuel cells. Afraid your A/C will require 120 volts. Good deal on getting her running have fun!

PirateHoratioHey guys &amp; gals,This is my first camper and I was wondering how the rear battery can power all the appliances and does it get charged when the motor is running? Feel free to expand further than these questions! Thanks!<br /><br />There should be a batter isolator, usually a relay, under the hood. When the enging is running an alternator lead will energise the relay which will put the coach battery in parallel with the truck battery, charging both. When the motor stops the relay drops out so using the coach battery won't drain the truck battery. The idiot who installed the stereo in our rig connected the feed to a wire that was only hot when the truck ignition switch was in the run position!!! Bad luck for me with RV's as the previous RV for me was a boat with the stereo wired the same as was this truck. I remember asking the seller of the boat if this wasn't bad for the outboad motor and he said no problem, espacially as he had to recently replace all the ignition black boxes!!!!!! What I did is run 2 wires from both sides of the isolator to a 3 position switch mounted to the right of the hand brake and from there to the stereo. Left is the coach battery, center is no power, right is the Toyota battery. I am too old for this I guess as it took me 5 hours to do a sano job of this with parts I already had. And BOY do I wish I had been smart enough to remove the drivers side seat first!!! I wasn't!!!<br /> vanman

Vanman, I intentionally wired my stereo into the ignition hot line. I have a portable radio that can run for days on 4 AA batteries and I do not want to power up a 100 watt stereo for background music. the truck stereo is for driving down the road.