4 vs 6 cyl?

Monkey1

Hello all.

Ok, I'm ready to buy. Just one question left.

4cyl or 6 cyl?

I will not be driving in any mountains............strictly along the southern states of the US. (fl, tx, ca, az, nm etc)

but I plan on putting on a lot of miles as I'll be living in my TOY. I'm tired of the societal jungle and I'm ready

to be free to roam.

Thanx,

Monkey1

ps-if anyone knows who's selling their TOY, please let me know. Thanx again.

IMHO;

My choices would be

1) 4 cyl (Prefer EFI) with 5 spd Manual

2) 4 cyl (Prefer EFI) with 4 spd Manual

3) 4 cyl (Prefer EFI) with Auto

4) 6 cyl.

The 4 cyl has less hp and will get a little better mileage, but is nuke proof, and if it does break, is easy to work on.

The manual tranny will get a little better mileage, but comes with the pain of shifting (you'd probably never use 5th). and the manual tranny is more reliable than an auto.

I like EFI (electronic Fuel Injection) as it is reliable and gets a little better mileage than carb, (ALSO - you can install a remote starter if you have EFI - I call my remote starter a "Poor mans Onan"

If your comparing MPG, I would venture to guess (at 55-60mph) a 4 cyl with manual will see 16mpg and the exact same Toyhouse with a 6cyl and auto would see 14mpg.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Drive a few of both. I did and couldn't get used to the noise of the 4 and haveing had v8 forever didn't like the lack of acceleration. The 4 is more reliable and as i've read bullet proof, but personally traded that for my personable drivability. I felt much more at ease with less engine noise and liked the acceleration for merging. i will be using it for mountain driving so that played into my decision too. there are trade offs in any decision, i was glad i drove both before buying. also i found prices all over the place, be patient if you can. have fun looking.

Buy the best one available that you can afford. It sounds like you would be happy with the 4 or 6. They both are good engines, the 4 has its own problems just like the 6. Yes, the 22R(E) is better known for reliably, but there are many 3VZ out there with many miles and happy owners too... Mine has about 100K miles and drives like new with out any problems. (I'm still going to swap it out for the next generation V6, just because I'm a nut and since the kids came along this is my only project the wife will let me work on :) )

Look for water damage or rot #1

Look for the upgraded axle #2 (I believe anything older than 1986 could possibly have the old style if not upgraded by the recall)

If you are going to be doing a lot of driving, it might best to get the V6, it has a much better auto transmission than the one that came with the 22RE autos.

Good luck with the search! Hope to see you someday at a Toy-in :ThumbUp:

Andrew.

the 4 banger auto is actually a very good tranny, so long as you are aware of it's achillies heel and equip/drive it accordingly. Put the biggest cooler you can find on it and use OD intelligently. "Intelligently" is a matter of much debate 'round here. Some say never, i disagree.

• 2 months later...

sorry i can only speak for the 4 22re auto which has been good to me and i guess lots others. It is slow but i like my road trips slow. I am on 2cd tranny. They do diligence and are under constant load.

I have taken my 4 banger frome maryland to california 3 times. I never had to go lower than 3rd gear with my 4 speed tranny

standstall

Wow!!! Which way do you go? I was in first or second for awhile going ....I70 or was it I80... headin toward denver going east.