Gas mileage

Bob C

I do not currently have an RV. I am looking at a 21', 1987 Toyota with a 4 cyl and auto trans. Could someone with this type of unit let me know what they get for gas mileage? I anticipate driving at about 55 mph to minimize my fuel consuption.

13 - 17 mpg depending on winds and hills.

On my 11,000 mile Alaska trip, I average 14.7. Most of the time it was between 14.5 and 15,5.. Worst was 10.7 (40 -50 mph headwinds) best was 17.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Thanks for the very fast relpy. I am going to look at a Toyhouse tonight, I hope. The wife has caught the fever to travel again also. She had a stroke about 10 years ago and it stopped our traveling with her at 43 years old. She now thinks that with a RV and her improved mobility she can do some more traveling.

I have looked at a couple of other RV's and have learned alot on this forum what to look for. I also learned to get the one that we want and don't settle for someone elses problems.

Things....Most of the mfg's made the same floor plan, so find the plan you like and then go shopping. There are no bad mfg's, only bad individual coach's. Get exactly what you want, adding A/C or a generator is expensive. Fall and winter are coming soon and the prices will go down, so will selections.

I did a 3000 mi trip @60-65 an averaged 13.7 mpg

Thanks for all of the replies. I hope to be a helpful contributor around here and not just a poster that uses all of your knowledge and does not help anyone.

Edited by Bob C

I filled up today after driving about 200 miles. I was totally impressed with 17.2 mpg. I topped of the tank so that I could not get any more gas in. I hope that with careful driving and taking my time going places, I can get at least 15 locally.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bob,

I'm a bottom-line guy, so I'll cut to the quick. I've got an '89 3.0 6 cyl. automatic. I average 16 mpg. Gasoline cost's (87 octane) are pushing $4 per gallon. That's 25 cents a mile. The window is big enough (14 - 17 mpg) ; ($3.49 - $4.09 per gal.) that you can count on 25 cents per mile. If that sounds like a lot, see what a 30 ft. diesel pusher is getting...

Mike

Bob C I do not currently have an RV. I am looking at a 21', 1987 Toyota with a 4 cyl and auto trans. Could someone with this type of unit let me know what they get for gas mileage? I anticipate driving at about 55 mph to minimize my fuel consuption.

When we went to Hagerman Idaho to get Mary's 92 Dolphin V6 auto it was completely empty all tanks and the only parts inside were the jack and lug wrench. Drove it home to SF in a hurry it maintained 70 on level real easy, got 14 MPG best tank and 11.7 the worst. Loaded it up for last years Felton run and drove it real slow to get best milage and got 10 MPG for trip. After much work,new tires etc. a trip to Burney and Modoc County around 1 K miles we got 11.2 for the trip driving slow. This experience seems to indicate that the load your carrying is more a factor that driving style. Vanman

My trip this last weekend was with a 1000 pound trailer behind the Toy. I got 16.8 with it back there driving in the hills of Southwestern WI. I have put about 400 miles on my Toy so far and have average 17.0 mpg. My wife and I are going to Door County, WI later this month and will be putting on about 500 miles. I will not be pulling a trailer on this trip.