Odyssey questions

MikeS

I see Dennis is on vacation so I'll ask the group . . . I'm looking at a 1988 Odyssey on eBay and wondering what the differences are between the 1988 and the 90-93 Odysseys (excepting the Americana models). Had they gone in 1988 to the "Two Ton Torture Test Roof"?

If anyone knows of any changes made to later models that had not been done to the 1988 models please post what you know.

I'm aware of the change from the 22RE to the V-6 and, in fact, it is because of the fact it has the 4 that I'm interested. I'm thinking the 4 is easier to work on, more reliable, and more economical than the V-6. Since I've never owned either one I'm just going on what I've picked up over time, but since I don't intend to take an Odyssey down the freeway very often I'm pretty sure I'll be happier with the trusty ole' 22RE.

I'm sure they had gone to the upgraded axle by 1988 . . . correct?

Any other differences or changes anyone knows of?

Thanks,

Mike

I see Dennis is on vacation so I'll ask the group . . . I'm looking at a 1988 Odyssey on eBay and wondering what the differences are between the 1988 and the 90-93 Odysseys (excepting the Americana models). Had they gone in 1988 to the "Two Ton Torture Test Roof"?

If anyone knows of any changes made to later models that had not been done to the 1988 models please post what you know.

I'm aware of the change from the 22RE to the V-6 and, in fact, it is because of the fact it has the 4 that I'm interested. I'm thinking the 4 is easier to work on, more reliable, and more economical than the V-6. Since I've never owned either one I'm just going on what I've picked up over time, but since I don't intend to take an Odyssey down the freeway very often I'm pretty sure I'll be happier with the trusty ole' 22RE.

I'm sure they had gone to the upgraded axle by 1988 . . . correct?

Any other differences or changes anyone knows of?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike, I have a 86 Toyota Odyssey 22re automatic, the top is an aluminum and is very very light, it is thinned skin, it almost scared me it was so thin.......so I put two coats of rubber roof because it was showing some of the metal aluminum, it had three leaks, they all stopped. But the air conditioner is weird in that water comes in the vent holes.......this is a stupid design in that the vent holes are on top and the sides, so I used new siding that was discarded by a work site and screwed some pieces in over the vents about 1 inch from holes to allow breathing....this worked out great! Rain does not come directly in now. The full floating axle was put on the 1986 and up models. Mine has it or I would not had bought it, they had problems with half floating axles previous years. I took old generator out of the back and found out the floor was detached from sides, screws were rusted through. So I added 2x2s and re strengthened the floors in back......the odyssey is three inches wider on both sides then from other models, nice, but when you put heavy things in the back and over time, floor will give weigh on sides. I will moving propane bottle 7 gal. up just behind duallys. To put stuff like generator and propane bottle near rear bumper was a manufacturer mistake. One other thing, the toys rv are known to have leaks in the front, well........I found old and still wet wood rot so I cut out the bad and put in cabinet pressboard, it turned out excellent for I even used braces and 2 ea. 2x2 to help keep the over the cab strengthened and it maybe weighs 10 lbs heavier. I plan on putting the spare tire inside somewhere, i will get inventive with that one;}

I've got a 1988 Odyssey 4cyl.

If you've got any questions, I'll do my best.

Eric in Sacramento

Thanks for answering Eric. Did they go to the new and stronger roof by 1988? Spag7 says his '86 Odyssey has a very thin roof, so at some point they went to the new roof. I'd like, when i get mine, to be able to get on it (using normal roof precautions like boards) and tend to things - perhaps install a pod or two for carrying stuff.

How di you like the 22RE? Dennis advised me to drive one before I decided on a 4 cylinder, so I'll start looking for that opportunity. They definitely seem to get better mileage than the V-6 and plus there's some things (like valve adjustments using shims) I don't like about the 6, along with the fact it uses more gas.

The '88 I was looking at is up by you - in Pleasant Hill. The fellow selling it has not responded to calls or emails and has it listed all over the place. In fact, if you type 1988 Odyssey into Google his unit comes up everywhere. He's already sold it on eBay once, but now it's back. It has exactly the floorplan I like and has the 4 cyl. and 32K miles, but I've lost interest due to seller's lack of communication and because it just seems like a very wonky situation with this seller. I'd like to get some history on the unit, but it's just got too many red flags at this point.

But there will be others, so I'm trying to learn about the '88 & '89 models, trying to find out if they have the improvements that showed up in the 90 - 93 models (which can only be found with the V-6.

Thanks for the reports guys.

Mike

Mike-

Mine has a very solid roof. I've been up there to install a fan and box and other maintenance, and it's surprisingly solid.

The layout of mine is the bathroom is directly behind the driver, large closet behind the pass, and a banquette with a long bench in the back with the upgraded ginormous rear window. I really like it a lot.

The engine is super solid. I'm not a gear head, so I took it to my mechanic and he told me it's perfect. Changed a belt, upgraded the a/c, and we're ready to roll. Mileage wise, geez, it really varies. Normal range is about 12-16, honestly. She likes to travel best at about 55 mph, and the o/d seems to help a lot.

Best feature for me is its size. I'm 6'2 and have no problem walking around. I bonk my head on the a/c every once in awhile, but otherwise I'm good. The Odyssey is also surprisingly large...I believe it's 8" wider than a Dolphin. Of course there are pros and cons to this.

Only problem I know of is I've never met anyone with an '88 who has a generator. The box seems to be too small. Perhaps I haven't met the right people, but that's something you may look into.

If it's a sketchy deal, you're doing the best thing by backing off.

Eric

Thanks for the details Eric. They must have gone to the stronger roof by '88 from what you're saying.

The figure I've heard a number of times is 6 inches wider and 2 inches higher than the "normal" Toyota motorhomes.

It seems like 13 is a real solid and conservative average figure for fuel consumption on the V-6, so if you're getting 12 - 16, it doesn't sound any different than the V-6. Maybe the V-6 is the way to go then, although the 22RE is easier to work on from what I've learned about the V-6. Adjusting the valves on the V-6 (can you believe it doesn't have hydraulic lifters??) is a painful process requiring shims. Maybe it's not so bad once you've done it a couple times and have built up an assortment of shims.

Anyway, thanks. That '88 in Pleasant Hill sold for just under 5K but if the deal falls through like the last one did it'll be back on Craigslist/eBay again.

Mike

• 6 months later...

Mike-

Mine has a very solid roof. I've been up there to install a fan and box and other maintenance, and it's surprisingly solid.

The layout of mine is the bathroom is directly behind the driver, large closet behind the pass, and a banquette with a long bench in the back with the upgraded ginormous rear window. I really like it a lot.

The engine is super solid. I'm not a gear head, so I took it to my mechanic and he told me it's perfect. Changed a belt, upgraded the a/c, and we're ready to roll. Mileage wise, geez, it really varies. Normal range is about 12-16, honestly. She likes to travel best at about 55 mph, and the o/d seems to help a lot.

Best feature for me is its size. I'm 6'2 and have no problem walking around. I bonk my head on the a/c every once in awhile, but otherwise I'm good. The Odyssey is also surprisingly large...I believe it's 8" wider than a Dolphin. Of course there are pros and cons to this.

Only problem I know of is I've never met anyone with an '88 who has a generator. The box seems to be too small. Perhaps I haven't met the right people, but that's something you may look into.

If it's a sketchy deal, you're doing the best thing by backing off.

Eric

HI ERIC...

I just bought an 88 Odyssey with the exact same floor plan.... Mine has the generator ;) it is pretty quiet even... mine also has that GINORMOUS window which I LOVE!!! only 35000 miles on it as well... the only thing I need to work on is the front cabover needs more securing as it fiberglass is separating from the bottom...my generator is an Onan... would love to chat about the good and bad we end up seeing in the future... I am also looking for a manual ... the one it had with it was just for the vehicle part of it...not the rv part... do you have one?

Hello Odyssey88,

Regarding Midwest rallies, here is the information on the 2011 rally that took place in Northern Indiana.

I think we had 15 Toyotas attend at one time, 17 total. http://www.toyotamotorhomes.com/mid-west_toy.htm

I am trying to organize the 2012 Rally to be in central Wisconsin (around the Wisconsin Dells area) but

currently having a hard time finding any campgrounds for under $50 a night. I try to find a $25 to $30 a

night rate.

In the past we had 4 rallys near Galesburg, IL and last year was in Shipshewana, IN.

If I cannot find something in Wisconsin, I will probably host again in Shipshewana.

Where abouts are you located?

Dennis...

• 1 year later...

Woops...sorry, I suppose I should have checked this more... I am in Vandenberg Village, California... which is near Santa Barbara... did you ever get the rally together?

If you go the the main page index there is a section just for rallies. There is one in a couple of weeks in Felton Ca near Santa Cruz just a couple of weels away hosted by Greg the owner of this site. There is also another one held in the spring down near San Diego but not planned yet for next year.

http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?showforum=8

Linda S