Heading out on first voyage (test camp) for weekend

wanderso

Well, I've finally got a free weekend to enjoy the 1991 Winnebago Warrior after buying it several weeks ago.

replaced muffler

changed all fluids

drained water system

tested all appliances (see below)

replaced coach battery

replaced truck battery

A few items of 'fun' from the prior owner who had said "everything works perfectly and it was checked out by an RV tech!" Sure would be nicer if they had been honest, but alas not to be as they likely concluded that I would have paid less for it otherwise.

1) Upon pressurizing the water system discovered a massive water leak at the toilet. Had to pull the toilet, replace ball valve and fittings. Probably wasn't winterized properly. I think that the owner cheated when I tested the rig; only turned on the pump to show it working at the sink but had not fully pressurized the system. Newbie mistake - make sure it is pressurized.

2) Fridge has a bad ignition. Unable to locate replacement part. Only way to start it on propane cycle is to have a person inside push the valve in (on gas setting) and light with a match from the outside. Trying a WWW search for the part. (tough to find). Local company believes the part number is 616418 and is NLA. Possible alternate part is 61746122. Owner had to know that this was not working. AC works fine.

3) LP tank will only fill to 1/2 full on gauge (about 4 gallons). Overflow float stops it from filling prematurely. (Not a biggie; will investigate on next refill)

Looking forward to the weekend!

Wanderso - Congratulations and hope you have a good time. :ThumbUp::ThumbUp::ThumbUp:

A couple observations that may help;

1) Buy one of those water regulator things that screw onto your hose, City water pressure could be to high and pop plumbing fittings in your Toyhouse. The regulator keeps the pressure down to about 30psi.

2) I took my igniter apart and was able to clean and lube it (Its a pain to get to, but its doable), I was still having trouble with it clicking and found that the screw holding the Cooling Coil unit was broke, and when you pressed on the clicker, it would actually push the whole coil unit back about 1/4 inch. I put two screws in the mount plate (one on each side) and BLAM - the clicker now works perfectly.

Heres a link on how I fixed/cleaned the clicker.

http://toyotamotorho...?showtopic=3499

post-4544-0-35776000-1308919269_thumb.jp

Also a photo of the two screws I installed to hold the coil to the back of the frig.

3) If your tank is a Horizontal and it looks kind of like a BBQ tank, 4 gallons is all it holds, I have the same issue with my Horizontal tank, the thing reads about 1/2 when its really full.

Just in case your interested, here's a link to upgrade my tank, regulator hose, etc.

http://toyotamotorho...?showtopic=3448

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Great posts! I will take a look at the ignitor on the fridge and see if it is fixable. I did get a pressure regulator for the water. Great info on the propane tank. I will check that out as well. Loving camping in this rig. It is a huge step up for us from an Apache hard side popup trailer. All systems are working well. I forgot how much faster camping setup is with a motorhome and having instant hot water for dishes is a dream.

By the way, I suspect it has been discussed earlier. Some norcold fridges in these rigs are subject to recall if they are in the correct serial number range. The 1991 Warrior for example has the 874EG2 installed. In my case, the serial number is outside of the range. Go to the bottom of the page on this site. http://www.norcoldrecall.com/

Result was great time with family. 13.99 MPG overall. A bit of tire vibration at highway speeds. Will check. On the suspension it has some creaks and noises. Can't find any lube points. Amy suggestions?

Wanderso;

GREAT - Those first couple ventures are full of learning, AND fun.

Sounds like the MPG is in the ballpark.

Maybe look at the tires to see how old they are. If they're over 6 years old, it probably time to replace them. ( Mine were 15 years old, new tires mad a huge difference in road noise and handling)

The Toyhouse is our first venture into camping. So far it looks like this was a good choice. On our way back from Alaska, we had parked in an RV Park. The folks next to us had a pop-up trailer.

The next morning while we were sitting at our table eating breakfast, we watched as they folded up and got ready for travel. I think they were new at this also. :rolleyes:

My Wife looked at me and said, "I'm glad we didn't get one of those". :ThumbUp:

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Lube points arn't. You have to remove the plug at each point and install a Zerk fitting then you can lube. Get 1 90 deg and one straight. R&R as needed, or buy a bunch and leave then installed for future lubes.

Wanderso:

I too am an Apache Ranger owner. Still have it after 11 yrs. But, I also have a 86 Sunland Express and my wife told me on our last campout that she sure was glad we didn't

bring the Apache to camp in. The rain sure came down a few times. We have had to leave it and get another day because of downpours when we were supposed to check out.

I still want to keep the Apache just in case I have the urge to use it again. The SLE does make setting up and tearing down much much easier

especially when you are 68 yrs old. Have fun camping and making memories.

'homer'

Thanks - Had the front end inspected upon my return, all of the tires rebalanced and inspected by reputable shop and the front end aligned. I found that the rear brakes shoes had around 2/32 left so went ahead and replaced, flushed the brake fluid, replaced the bearing seals and re-packed. (bearings are in great condition). Front brakes still have a lot of pad left and good rotors.