Need Old Cruise Servo Unit

waiter

The only mechanical casuality of my Alaska trip was the cruise control.

This is an aftermarket unit that National RV installed when they built the Dolphin. Does anyone have the servo unit that they would like to sell/donate to me.

The problem with mine - The "rack" (the part that actually pulls the throttle cable) is stripped. My CC does work and actually did a very good job, and I'd hate to replace the whole system just because of a bad part in the original system.

If anyone has any questions, I'll be more than happy to take mine apart again and get a couple photos of the damaged part. (I'll probably do this later today if it stops raining)

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Your best options are probably searching on Ebay and also in salvage yards. Aftermarket cruise controls usually fit a wide variety of models so any vehicle from that era is probably worth a look. You might also see if you or anyone else on here with a similar cruise could possibly identify the manufacturer and model to aid in your search. A machine shop may be able to duplicate the part if there is enough left of it to reverse engineer.

Diesel Aggie;

I've looked hi and low. I've searched thousands of images on Google. I know these CCs are on most of the Toyhouses that National built (Dolphin / Seabreeze) but it seems I have the only one :angry02:

Anyway, If anyone has removed this unit from their Toyhouse, I would be more than happy to pay postage.

The part I'm looking for is in the Servo unit. you need to remove the cover, then remove a small variable resistor (long metal thing).

AnyBody ??????

( I hate to buy a new unit, but CC will spoil you on long drives)

post-4544-0-37082800-1307805002_thumb.jp post-4544-0-58010900-1307805004_thumb.jp

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

NOTE - I actually found a Servo unit - It seems this CC is also used on Harley Davidson Motorcycles. It has a part number and everything. :-)

I'll keep you posted on my progress.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

• 1 month later...

Toyhouse Cruise Control Servo is same as used on Harley Davidson Touring motorcycle circa 1990. (I THINK)

One seller had it but wants $200 (I can buy a brand new CC system for $250)

I've been watching e-bay and found another one. What the heck,its worth a $40 gamble.

Hopefully, I can just take the plastic gears out of it, drop them into mine and I'm back in business.

LEFT - Harley Cruise Control Module RIGHT - Toyhouse Cruise Control Module (servo)

post-4544-0-85849800-1312120859_thumb.jp

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Cruise Control Servo arrived today. Good news / Bad news.

The good news - The original rack gear was made of plastic and had stripped. The rack gear in the Harley servo unit is metal :ThumbUp: :ThumbUp:

The bad news - The metal rack is about 1/32 inch wider than the plastic rack and will not fit in the groove.:ranting2:

OK - All is not lost -

The units are not drop in compatible. there is a slight difference in wiring and the plugs, probably the slide switch (SET / RESUME, etc).

The internal gear train mount looks identical, except the track that the rack slides in is definitely wider in the Harley unit.

I can take the electrical stuff out of the toy unit and install it in the Harley unit. Original electrical stuff, installed in the Harley case.

I got everything switched and the unit reinstalled. I can't check it because I have a mess inside working on my A/C (waiting for the external door to show up in the mail) :(

I'll re-post when I check it out on the freeway.

Photo 1 - This is the internal gear train assembly that I switched. The mounting plate is what needed to be switched as it has the groove that the rack fits into.

Photo 2 - The electrical stuff (motor, clutch contact points, resistor) is switched between the Toy unit and the Harley unit

Photo 3 - The rack gear - you can see where the black plastic is stripped.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

post-4544-0-56693900-1312414648_thumb.jp

post-4544-0-24425300-1312414663_thumb.jp

post-4544-0-62834700-1312414664_thumb.jp

• 3 weeks later...

EXCELLENT :hyper::hyper:

After replacing the servo guts with the Harly Davidson guts, this is the first chance I had to do a test drive.

New CC unit works great.

I made a couple adjustments on the control box.

"Centering" Adjusted this so when I hit the "Set" button, it would go to the current speed. (before it would drop about 4 mph)

I turned the "Gain" up about 1/8 turn to make the throttle a little quicker responding to uphill/downhill

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

• 2 weeks later...

FOLLOWUP - This is a followup to two posts I made regarding the Cruise Control

http://toyotamotorho...?showtopic=3450

http://toyotamotorho...?showtopic=3940

Mine originally worked, but had some issues when setting the speed and also brake light issues. I solved the brake light problem when I installed a relay to isolate the CC disconnect from the brake light circuit.

I also had the plastic rack gear (rack and pinion) strip out when we were on our trip to Alaska. After searching and searching and searching, I found a similar unit on e-bay - The servo, the part that moves the throttle cable, was from a Harley Davidson Motorcycle (circa 1990). Although the units looked identical, they were not. There are some electrical differences and also a slight difference in the rack, its a tiny bit wider.

I was able to take the electrical stuff out of mine (motor, clutch contact assembly, control board) and install it in the Harley housing, and it worked fine.

On the drive test, I played with the gain and centering adjustments and got it working great. It now engages at any speed (I The max I tried was 70mph) and does a good job of holding it, even on slight inclines (overpasses).

The unit I have is an obvious aftermarket, but is NOT a Dana unit as was previously thought. I still don't know who the manufacture is, but I found similar unit used on Harley Davidson motorcycle.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto