Mini Cruiser new roof A/C dillema

I am in the process of putting a complete new roof on our 22' Mini.I have it pretty well worked out and it is coming along slowly, i have the "rafters" in place and it occured to me that if i put the A/C unit off center by about 14" i could have 6' headroom all the way down the centerline. I dont need 6' as i am only about 5'9" but i was thinking that the extra headroom would be a selling point when the time comes to sell. while thinking about it i also thought it would look funny with the A/C unit sitting off to stbd on the roof from outside.So please give me your opinions of which way you think would be best from a resale point of view.

TIA Don

Don,

I think your idea of installing you roof AC off-center is a great idea! I'm surprised that the builders didn't think of that. Also, any chance you could post pictures of what you've done so far? I'm thinking of re-doing my roof as well and I'd like some ideas. I won't be doing anything this year, though. Maybe next Spring. Its time to start using my Toyhome for fun.

John

How much does the AC weigh???? if it's nearly as heavy as my small home units putting weight that that high up off center might be a problem ????

vanman

Vanman The A/C unit according to the manual is 85 pounds,it would only be 14" off center,i dont know how much difference that would make but it is something to consider.

John I have taken some pictures,just a few i need to get them posted on here. Hopefully this coming week i will get time to figure out how to do it.

Both of you guys thanks for your input Don

I saw a camper the other day that had a pitched roof every thing was off center it looked really strange, vents A/C every thing I guess it depends on how your roof is made you are going to have to make some type of dam tied between what ever rafters are there. What are you going to do with the old hole put a vent in it?

The old hole is going to the dump with the rest of the old roof.The new roof will have a slight camber to it,it will be 1-1/4" higher in the center than the outside edge.I am still undecided about the off center A/C i think i will take the A/C cover over and put it up on the roof and see if it looks too strange a little off to stbd. Still would apreciate more opinions,you know everyone has an opinion lets see some more of them. Don

post-4760-0-66628600-1306459771_thumb.jp

Don,

Your framing looks great! Nice and solid and professional. What size, in cross section, are the roof beams? Are you going to cover the roof with plywood? There's a local camper manufacturer here in Kalispell, MT. that uses 3/8" ply over their framing before roofing over with, rubber, I think. They say you can walk anywhere on the roof with no flex and complete security. Their roof beams are 2x3's with a camber that makes the framing come out to be 1 1/2" by 1 1/2". Thanks for the pictures.

John

Most of the "rafters" are cut from 2x4 stock so they are 1-1/2 thick and they are 7/8 thick at the ends where they are screwed to the aluminum framing and 2-1/8 thick vertically at the center.The ones that will support the A/C unit are reenforced with 3/4x3/4 steel square tube.the ones near the front and back are not as thick in the center as the roof has to transition to flat where it meets the front and rear curved panels, because they are not as thick in the center vertical dimension i made them from 2 1x4s glued together as it seemed to me they would be a little stronger than cut from a 2x4 And there is one that is just cut from a 1x4 as it only has a short unsupported span between the closet and the boxed section above the fridge. I hope to get the first 1/4" plywood panel tomorrow.there eventually will be 2 layers of fiberglass with gel coat over the plywood so i think it will be strong enough to walk on when complete,but i wont be jumping up and down on it.

After the first 2 layers of fiberglass are on the vents ect that normally would be screwed to the roof will be attached with 2 more layers of FG so there will be no screws penetrating the plywood roof.I will also glass some small pieces of the grey lumber that people are building docks with on top of the first 2 layers of FG so that in the future i can mount a couple of solar panels up there, the screws that mount them will only screw into the plastic lumber on top of the fiberglass,again no screws thru the roof. I will post more pictures as i go along.

Still hoping for more opinions on mounting the A/C off center! Don

Nice looking work. reminds me of wooden boat building in a previous life.

As for an off center install of the AC, I don't see any mechanical or weight issues but I wonder about aesthetics. What's it going to look like with a 12" high white box sitting 14" off center?

I would go easy on the fiberglass, (no mat, only cloth?) Extra pounds aloft add instability and roll to our already overweight mini homes. I'm removing my 100# Carrier AC to to reduce roll.

Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Most of the "rafters" are cut from 2x4 stock so they are 1-1/2 thick and they are 7/8 thick at the ends where they are screwed to the aluminum framing and 2-1/8 thick vertically at the center.The ones that will support the A/C unit are reenforced with 3/4x3/4 steel square tube.the ones near the front and back are not as thick in the center as the roof has to transition to flat where it meets the front and rear curved panels, because they are not as thick in the center vertical dimension i made them from 2 1x4s glued together as it seemed to me they would be a little stronger than cut from a 2x4 And there is one that is just cut from a 1x4 as it only has a short unsupported span between the closet and the boxed section above the fridge. I hope to get the first 1/4" plywood panel tomorrow.there eventually will be 2 layers of fiberglass with gel coat over the plywood so i think it will be strong enough to walk on when complete,but i wont be jumping up and down on it.

After the first 2 layers of fiberglass are on the vents ect that normally would be screwed to the roof will be attached with 2 more layers of FG so there will be no screws penetrating the plywood roof.I will also glass some small pieces of the grey lumber that people are building docks with on top of the first 2 layers of FG so that in the future i can mount a couple of solar panels up there, the screws that mount them will only screw into the plastic lumber on top of the fiberglass,again no screws thru the roof. I will post more pictures as i go along.

Still hoping for more opinions on mounting the A/C off center! Don

• 1 year later...

Im contemplating removing my roof-top AC. It doesnt work and I hope to never need it. What I need to know is, is the hole for the AC a size thats easily fillable with a vent? Or will this be opening a huge can of worms?