Runs bad on startup, Runs bad with heat, Runs pretty good in between

I honestly can say guys I've been through it with this 87 Dolphin with a 22RE.

I think many of my running symptoms have been a combination of many things.

I do believe this RV was neglected for some time, and is just now about to stretch its fenders once more.

My other thread, the transmission problem was a kickdown cable that was not at the right adjustment that I feel like a dunce for not measuring it from the rubber boot near the Throttle body.

I believe this next issue will be (hopefully) simple.

I'm thinking possibly 02 sensor or a combo of a couple things.

Symptoms:

Runs rough on start up. Does not like to be cold.

If I put it in Reverse in about 10 seconds of cold start, it will stall.

If I put it in Reverse in about 30 seconds of cold start, it will go into gear and run very choppy. Low RPMS. If I give it gas it will back up.

If I warm it up and give it a little gas for a minute from a cold start, the chop is way less and I don't worry about it stalling backing it out of the driveway.

I put it in D, still slightly choppy. Then I drive it down the street for 1/4 mile and all seems fine driving. I get to a stop sign the chop is 50% less, but noticeable.

If I drive it another 1/3 mile to the next stop sign, chop is gone.

So OBVIOUSLY it likes being warm.

After it is warm it drives really good. I go 55-60, no problems. Cruising along... regretting cussing at this RV & making friends with it again.

Then I decide to test it a bit. I turn down a side street with a 30mph limit. I take it up a fairly steep grade hill for about 1/4th of a mile. It's out of OD the entire time.

Truck slows down going up as expected.

I have to floor it, tranny kicks down nice, and I make it up this hill at about 20mph floored for the last 100 yards. Never really going below 20mph or above once it slows to it as expected.

I do a U-Turn, drive down the hill to get back on the highway.

THIS IS WHEN THE PROBLEM HAPPENS

I get on the highway and the engine seems very weak. It sounds a bit different too almost like if somebody wrapped several bed comforters around the motor.

I give it some gas and it accelerates weakly, but is not working nearly as well as it was after I backed it out of my driveway and all the way to the hill which is about 3 miles off.

It's just weak. Shifts are there & kickdown works, revs seem there but weaker, but there is a "muffled cotton like underwater" sound that seems to dilute the normal sound of the engine revs and is especially apparent when I floor it.

The only things I can think of are:

02 sensor

Overheating tranny? I do have a cooler arriving in the mail soon - a nice large one. (it has a stock cooler)

EGR

All of the major tune up stuff is already changed. Oil is good, Tranny fluid is good.

Hopefully this will be my last issue. We are all ready to use this thing! As always thanks in advance!

Well to go with your plugged cat, you could have a muffler with a loose baffle inside. See if you can give it a shake and see if it rattles or sounds like its full of gravel.

WME

Cold Start problems usually steer toward faulty Temperature sensor or cold start injector. Might simply unplug, check the connections, and try again. (These do electronically what the "Choke" did for carb engines. The cold start system enriches the fuel mixture until the engine comes up to temperature.

There are some very good troubleshooting steps listed in the Factory Service Manual, Its a big download (85 meg) but you really do need it.

Look in the FI section for troubleshooting cold start problems.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Cold Start problems usually steer toward faulty Temperature sensor or cold start injector. Might simply unplug, check the connections, and try again. (These do electronically what the "Choke" did for carb engines. The cold start system enriches the fuel mixture until the engine comes up to temperature.

There are some very good troubleshooting steps listed in the Factory Service Manual, Its a big download (85 meg) but you really do need it.

Look in the FI section for troubleshooting cold start problems.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Okay I will check the temp sensor and download the manual. Thanks so much. I'll let ya know how it turns out.