I’m just starting my research on this, however I though maybe someone has already done all the “research” and can save me some time. I’m in a 1986 Dolphin with 22RE with 4 speed manual Transmission . Although I know I will still be doing hills in 2nd and 3rd gear, on long flat stretches it would be nice to have a 5 speed. Has anyone doe this and what do you recommend?

So far I think I know that I have either a L43 or L45, 4 speed transmission, and there is available G50, G52, or G54, 5 speeds transmissions, which might be direct bolt on, with little or no modifications necessary. I’m I correct so far?

After creating this new topic, I did take the time to scan down and find this other one, the one for the link provided. Kudos to “Allen” for a swap from an automatic transmission to a 5 speed manual. That is way more that I would be able to tackle.

I went by a couple of salvage yards in town that specialize in Toyotas. The transmissions recommended by Allen: the W52 and W55 are readily available $100 to $300 mattering on the mileage of the vehicle. The W56, apparently rare and sought after, if found it’s a real “Find”.

The Salvage yard guys have the option that a swap from a 4 speed to a 5, is not a big deal. The 5 speed will be a little longer, due to the 5th gear. Which means the cross member is moved back, the drive shaft has to be shorted, and the shifter hole has to be modified back a little. But the guys at both places thought everything else, the hydraulic clutch, reverse wires, speedo cable, etc, should be a direct bolt up. The one thing I heard to be careful about is the spline count on the out put shaft, apparently these can vary. But, none of this sounds too difficult.

However “…none of this sounds too difficult” can be some famous last words, (I think General Custer said something like that as he rode to the Little Big Horn). Does anybody have any good guidance before I decide to try this?

The Salvage yard guys have the option that a swap from a 4 speed to a 5, is not a big deal. The 5 speed will be a little longer, due to the 5th gear. Which means the cross member is moved back, the drive shaft has to be shorted, and the shifter hole has to be modified back a little. But the guys at both places thought everything else, the hydraulic clutch, reverse wires, speedo cable, etc, should be a direct bolt up. The one thing I heard to be careful about is the spline count on the out put shaft, apparently these can vary. But, none of this sounds too difficult.

You need to find a shop that can shorten your drive shaft and balance it. If they can shorten it they should also be able to swap the splines end with one that will fit the new transmission. Have them install the new U-Joints also because if you get them off it will cause a vibration. Ask around at your local auto parts stores for a reputable drive shaft shop.

Hello,

Double check the final gear ratios on the two, you may want to stick to the 4-speed manual.

The reason I state this is that in 1986 I purchased a new 1986 Toyota pickup truck and I had

my choice between one with a 4-speed manual and one with a 5-speed manual. I was going to

get the 5-speed manual until I saw that it got 7 mpg less than the 4-speed manual. Both

trucks had the same rearend differial. The 4-speed got 31mpg on the highway and the 5-speed

got 24mpg. If I recall correctly, the 4-speed ended up with a slightly higher end ratio

than the 5-speed. I ended up buying the 4-speed and ended up getting 34 mpg highway and sold

it 15 years later with 205,000 on it.

I am guessing the 5-speed is more for hauling, which sounds good for use in a motorhome,

but you made a comment about long flat stretches.

Hope this helps,

Dennis B.

I’m just starting my research on this, however I though maybe someone has already done all the “research” and can save me some time. I’m in a 1986 Dolphin with 22RE with 4 speed manual Transmission . Although I know I will still be doing hills in 2nd and 3rd gear, on long flat stretches it would be nice to have a 5 speed. Has anyone doe this and what do you recommend?

So far I think I know that I have either a L43 or L45, 4 speed transmission, and there is available G50, G52, or G54, 5 speeds transmissions, which might be direct bolt on, with little or no modifications necessary. I’m I correct so far?

Greg: There are definitely some machine shops in town that specialize in shortening or lengthening, then balancing drive shafts, thanks.

Bufbooth: Interesting, you motivated me to go look at the specs, as it turns out the W55 would have to be my choice as the all the gear ratio match, with 5th gear being a true “Over Drive”. The W52 does have different ratios which may cause that difference in mpg, you noticed. Thanks

W46

• First Gear: 3.566:1
  • Second Gear: 2.056:1
  • Third Gear: 1.384:1
  • Fourth Gear: 1.00:1
W52
  • First Gear: 3.625:1
  • Second Gear: 2.043:1
  • Third Gear: 1.394:1
  • Fifth Gear: 0.853:1

W55

• First Gear: 3.566:1
  • Second Gear: 2.056:1
  • Fifth Gear: 0.85:1

Hi John,

If I had to do it again, I would opt for the W56 transmission, assuming that it was not prohibitively very expensive.

• First Gear: 3.954:1
  • Second Gear: 2.141:1
  • Fifth Gear: 0.85:1

Since it has a steeper first gear and our motorhomes are very heavy, it would be easier to go up steep hills without a running start, and one could take it slower. This would be especially usefully when going off road up steep and rough roads, where one should take it slow to avoid shaking the motorhome excessively.

As an example, this past spring break we took a trip to Bryce and Zion National Parks. We took a side trip to see Grosvenor Arch from Kodachrome Basin State Park (http://utahpictures....svenor_Arch.php). There is one section that is too steep and rocky to go a nice slow 5-7mph to avoid shaking things to pieces. I ending up coasting down the hill backwards maybe 100 feet (leaving black tire marks from my front tires slipping) and then driving maybe 15mph to get up the hill. It was very bumpy, we made it, but the TV was hanging on only two of its mounts (instead of 4 from getting knocked around).

Regards,

Allen

I’m at about 94% certain I’m going to give this a try. I definitely see the advantages of the W56 2x4 tranny, if I can find one. I did locate a W55 2x4, at a “Pull N Save” $134. No matter what, if working with a junk yard tranny, I will go have it re-built. I still need to call around and get a ball park budget for that.

This last weekend my Wife and I went down to the Comanche Nation Grass Lands. There where no big up and own hills but a few moderate hills. 1st and 2nd did ok on the W46, but I can see where serious mountain hills will be a challenge. The 1st time we try one of the Colorado passes will be interesting, and slow.

But what I am really after, more than up and down hills, is that 5th gear when out on the open highway, 70/75 mph, without the engine being so wound up. The 500+ miles we did this weekend, we averaged 16.6mpg. That was with a lot of highway miles. I am hoping a 5th gear will make a trip like that more efficient.

Allen: Besides the lower end of the W56 you would rather have, have you found the 5th gear of the W52 to be useful? I see you posted it saved you around 500rpm @ 70mph. I would assume lower gas consumption with that savings. Also, with all your modifications, improved exhaust, MSD ignition, etc, what are you averaging on mpg? Some of those upgrades are sounding interesting to me as well.

Hi John,

I use 5th gear most of the time on the freeway. Another member wrote to me regarding my actual rpms, I measured the following using the factory tach and a GPS (my speedometer is off 1-2 mph).

MPH | 4th | 5th

-----------------

60 | 3150 | 2900

65 | 3600 | 3000

70 | 3900 | 3120

One would think that using 5th gear on the freeway would save fuel consumption, I am not sure, I never ran an experiment all in 4th then compared it to all in 5th on the same road. It does cut down on the engine rpms!

When I made all those modifications, my main objection at the time was to get more power from the engine, since I like to drive spirited (and being in the slow lane going up a hill being passed by all semi trucks was not fun). My friend has a 1989 Dolphin with a V6 and an automatic, my 22RE with a manual has maybe slightly less power. The biggest improvement (and last drive train modification) I made was to swap the transmission. After the transmission swap, I can accelerate much faster, go faster on the freeway, and can pass maybe 75% of the semi trucks pulling up a hill. My friend with the 89 says I drive it like a sports car. Anyway, so my mileage is not that great. In the last few 1400-1900 mile trips, I averaged slightly over 13mpg. However, prior to the transmission swap, on a couple 1400 mile trips, I only averaged slightly over 11mpg.

Note: On a couple of the shorter trips (when I did not drive quite as fast) after the transmission swap, I did average 15mpg. My best single tank to date was 17.8mpg (last month in fact, in Utah). Your 16.6mpg average in 500+ miles is fantastic, I wish I could be getting that!

Regards,

Allen

• 1 month later...

It's important to remember that it's very possible to get lower fuel mileage out of a 5-speed than a 4-speed when dealing with an underpowered vehicle. If you are doing this swap for less rpm and noise on flat ground you'll get what you want. If it is for fuel economy, I doubt you will be satisfied. I have an old reply to someone else's post that has more details. Try searching on my user name and see if you can find it.

I'd certainly recommend picking a 5-speed with a lower 1st gear for the reasons stated above. Can't really go wrong there. A lower reverse can be a benefit if backing into a steep area as well.

You might want to look at http://www.marlincrawler.com/transmission/rebuilt-complete as it shows pictures of many different transmissions. You need to make sure the bellhousing bolt patterns are the same and that the clutch linkage and starter will attach on the same side of the transmission and in the same manner.

The driveshaft and yoke swapping is easy for a competent drvieshaft shop. Yokes are pretty universal (as in you don't need to go to Toyota) most driveshaft shops can order Spicer or similar brand parts that are high quality.