Electrical

milberry

Just put in a new house battery and ever since, I have no power. I have plugged it into house current (which worked before the new battery) and also started up the generator but neither will allow anything to work. Prior to this I had it plugged into my home with an orange cord and the lights, water pump worked fine.

I am wondering about what I have read here with regards to "ground wire". There is an extra wire under the hood that is currently not hooked up because it is too short and I need it to be replaced. But it has been like this since before I got the new house battery. Also, when we installed the battery we put the extra "ground?" wire on the - "negative" side which the guy at the battery shop said was correct. I started the truck up too thinking perhaps that might work. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Kathy

1993 Itasca Spirit

CA.

Almost everything in the coach operates off 12Vdc. (lights, furnace, water pump, stove hood blower, etc)

In the coach, You have three sources for 12 Vdc.

1) Coach Battery

2) Converter (converts 110Vac to 12 Vdc) (Shore Power)

3) Truck 12 Vdc power via the isolator. (Truck needs to be started)

All three of these sources should go to your power distribution box where they are fused. Start ther, check the fuses on your converter/distribution panel.

You said everything worked before you put in a new Coach battery, I would start looking there for a wire that got left off, or hooked up incorrectly.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

OK, I will try this in the morning. I noticed that these fuses were difficult to remove so I will try using a tool to do it as I couldn't budge them with just my fingers.

Then I will try removing the new house battery and see if I get anywhere just plugged into my house current without the battery in at all. I will also try just removing that extra wire like Derek suggests.

I will let you both know how it goes.

thanks so much for your quick answers. We are so looking forward to going away in the Toy this weekend :)

I really appreciate the help.

Kathy

Almost everything in the coach operates off 12Vdc. (lights, furnace, water pump, stove hood blower, etc)

In the coach, You have three sources for 12 Vdc.

1) Coach Battery

2) Converter (converts 110Vac to 12 Vdc) (Shore Power)

3) Truck 12 Vdc power via the isolator. (Truck needs to be started)

All three of these sources should go to your power distribution box where they are fused. Start ther, check the fuses on your converter/distribution panel.

You said everything worked before you put in a new Coach battery, I would start looking there for a wire that got left off, or hooked up incorrectly.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

YES - As Derek says, you really need to get an inexpensive Multimeter, and learn the basics on how to use it. Checking voltage, reading resistance, continuity.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Good morning all

OK, I will get a multimeter and the next time I get to a Toy In I will get an inservice on how to use it!

When I removed the battery, I stuck my head around and looked inside the compartment and there is a box that says REAR PNL/CONT and it has a BUTTON!!!

So, I am thinking my next step will be to hook the battery back up and push the button???

I thought I would post this before doing that.

Thanks so much

Kathy

I just took these. Let me know what you think, I still have not tried hooking up the new battery and pushing this button. I need to wait for my son so he can lift it and attach the cables, it was hard enough getting it out.

Kathy

Worth pushing the button. Nothing to lose. Unless, of course, it's marked 'Do Not Push'!

Do you have access to a digital camera? Pictures are nice too.

trying again to send the photo

post-2621-0-83540700-1304632793_thumb.jp

not the best photo, here is one of the cables

post-2621-0-82813200-1304632980_thumb.jp

Yep 40 amp manual reset circuit breaker give it a push!

How can I tell if it is popped? My son came over and put the battery back in so I can not see it as well now, just feel that it feels like the button went in and stayed in. I tried a small piece of a wooden skewer to see if it would pop back out but it didn't. So now I am looking at taking the battery out so at least if I need to, I can hook up to power. We are supposed to leave today. I am a bit skeptical about taking the RV somewhere to get this checked out. I guess an RV place would be the best? I have a guy who lives down the street who used to be a mechanic for an airline, would he be able to do this?

I guess I think if you down actually own one of these older RV's then you don't really know the ins and outs of them but maybe any person who can operate one of those little meters can check it out quickly??

Thanks

Kathy

Yep - 40 amp breaker and it looks like its popped.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

That style of circuit breaker is flush when its set, and sticks out when its popped. My question would be; Why did it pop in the first place??

Problem with these older Toy Houses, they're like a regular house; If you buy on old house, you probably should be comfortable delving into problems, as there is always something wrong with a house, and they'll drive you to bankruptcy if you have to hire a contractor to fix everything that goes wrong. :ranting2:

Besides, its kind of fun and a good learning experience. :rolleyes:

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Low and behold I made a call to Larry (fellow Toy owner) who told me that the extra "black colored" wire was supposed to be attached to the RED battery cable! Made the switch and whala!! I have power and we are off on our first trip of the season to enjoy some wine tasting in Manton, CA.

Thanks so much for your help

Kathy