Anyone know what these things look like on the inside?? It seems to be that something is just slipping because the tenths of miles turns accurately but wont push the mileage over to 72,000 ....it stas on 71999. Any ideas folks?

Anyone know what these things look like on the inside?? It seems to be that something is just slipping because the tenths of miles turns accurately but wont push the mileage over to 72,000 ....it stas on 71999. Any ideas folks?

I took one apart many years ago, it's a bunch of gears like a clock so if the 1/10's work it could be either a broken tooth or , if youre lucky a small piece of debris jamming it. Hard to get at thou, maybe take the cable loose from the tranny and run it backwards with an electric drill to see if that might?? clear it. BTW congrats on such low mileage on an '83. John

EDIT: Ha, when did I become an advanced member, soo much still to learn...

thanks, ill give that a try! yeah i am pretty pumped with her so far.....she drives like a DREAM!!!!! a couple small leaks to fix but no real water damage to speak of (at least that i can see). Took her on her maiden voyage this past weekend and besides learning exactly how far the needle can go to the E (not far by the way....she just touched the white line) she was a camp (even held 65 mph for a bit!!! 70 almost on the downhill).

They each trip on the tenth revolution of the gear before it and they are fairly fragile plastic tabs years ago there were spedo shops but ever things now is electronic so parts probably will be hard to find you would have more luck with a used on.

The fact that the tenths still rolls means all is well in the tranny.

You just have an issue internal to the speedo itself.

I say don't sweat it and be happy that your toyhouse will remain forever young with 72K on it's clock!

Spend your time worrying about all the other things that can crap out on a 28 year old toyhouse.

I had this happen 30 years ago in an old Chevy. I got one out of the junk yard, it apart, made it read the same, then installed it in my chevy.

As others have said, there is a broken or worn tooth on the number wheel, and its not catching the tenths wheel.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Aiuto

there is still a shop here in my town that rebuildes spedometers for people who restore old cars trucks etc etc