Exploding Water Pipes

No problems with our water system at all last year, our first season in our '92 Warrior. But this year! We started out a few weeks ago with the city water connection malfunctioning and poured water out all over the place inside the connection and out. Finally go that sorted after having to order the new part, we thought. But our second weekend out, still a big leak. Luckily a neighbouring camper came to our rescue with some pipe tape! Problem solved.

Then this week, we travelled further afield. We are camped at Thunderbird R.V. at Campbell River, B.C.

When we turned on the hot water heater last night, a huge leak under the stove. Nothing for it but to disconnect the city water yet again. Water all over the floor and pouring out the bottom of the unit. \

After a rather restless night, Ron arose at the crack of dawn and found a plug he'd managed to lose when trying to drain the hot water heater. He'd forgotten to drain the pressure off and was sprayed by hot water making him loose the plug. He could find it in the dark but there it was right where he'd dropped it. He was very pleased and dragged me out of bed about 2 hours early. After breakfast he tackled the leaking pipe under the hot water tank again. Nothing worked. Floor got soaked again!

So, we walked up to Canadian Tire and bought some new hose (had to buy 25 feet of the damned stuff) and a couple of sundry other parts, had a coffee and came back to the Warrior. Installed the new stuff. This time, when we turned on the city water, the piped disconnected again, this time with a real explosion. This time required a bath towel to dry the galley floor. So we gave up and drove a few miles up the road to Howich R.V. They sold us some new connections and showed Ron how to install the pipe again. $10. Told Ron it was a hot water bypass and it didn't need connecting. Oh Right.

When we turned on the water - again a major flood! Water pouring out both sides of the rear of the unit! So this time, Ron reconnected it (it had always been connected before!) and finally! It seems to be fixed.

Not sure if our water pump will work when not connected to the city water. And not sure what will happen when we turn on the hot water heater. But what an adventure. Hope we sleep better tonight!

Do you have a regulator attached to you city water hose??? The water at my house can run up to 70 psi ant the regulator cuts it down so it won't go about 40psi.,

My water pump works but I need to make sure the City Water connection is plugged or it just pumps the water out the City Water connection.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Regulator is a must for city water. There are two valves one at the city water hookup and the other at the pump. The city water one keeps the water from running out the hose fitting when the pump is running and the other keeps the water tank from filling up and running over when it's hooked up to city water. 40psi is tops for an RV system your pump most likely will only do maybe 25psi.

Would be pretty simple wouldn't it there would be a lot less broken pipes and more happy campers! I think I saw a replacement city water fitting assembly that had a built in regulator maybe it was for a boat.

a leak from the water heater? noticed alot of water coming from water heater and leaking into power plug box below any ideas? also it seems to have lost all of the water from fresh water tank and leak more heavily when water pump is switched on. 86 new horizon

Make sure connections are tight, also look for tubing that is split (common if pipes froze.)

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

a leak from the water heater? noticed alot of water coming from water heater and leaking into power plug box below any ideas? also it seems to have lost all of the water from fresh water tank and leak more heavily when water pump is switched on. 86 new horizon

When they designed the water heaters they put the drain plug in the side I sure that's so it will fit any thing however you can't completely drain the tank and all the crud stays on the bottom and rots the tank. They make a little pipe that you can stick in the tank and wash the stuff out with a hose of course that won't help you if the tank is all ready leaking. They do sell just the tanks but for maybe 20-$30 more you can buy the entire heater. It will leak more with the pump on more pressure. On your fresh water make sure the drain is closed all the way.