5,780 lbs Dolphin

waiter

Sunday afternoon was a beautiful day up here in NW Ohio, I had finished testing the water tanks and all three were full (fresh / Black / Gray). It looked like the projects "To-Do" list was getting short.

I Needed to go out for a test drive to check the Air Conditioner, new water pump, PVC valve, and fuel filter.

Wow, This thing rides nice. Seems like its a lot quieter (new, thicker, Lexan front window)

We have a truck scale were I work, so decided to stop by there and see how much this thing weighs.

The ToyHouse is empty, with the exception of the full tanks, there's nothing inside like pots and pans, or stuff like that.

Weight was 5,780 lbs. I need to check and see what the bag pressure is, but the ride is good and stable (I have new tires all the way around).

Getting ready for the big trip, just hope gas prices don't jump to high.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

John,

I have been watching your progress all the way through. Your ride sure has turned out nice. I wish i had the time to make a big trip like you are getting ready to do. The kids are to young for me to take off for to long. Maybe one day. The wife and i are talking about maybe a longer trip up to the mountains next year from down here in Texas. Anyway i hope you and your wife have fun. Let me ask you a question on AC. I have been noticing that my truck AC is not cooling as good when running down the highway. When you are sitting still at an idle it seams to blow cold but once the motor is working say in a strong head wind out od overdrive running at 60 it doesnt cool very good. I took it in and had it recharged last week before our trip to the Nascar races. They vacumed the system and recharged it and added some die. ANyway on the way to the races it worked fine had a south wind pushing me all the way. But on the way home fighting a 25 to 30 head wind the ac seamed to stop cooloing as good again. Do you think this sounds like a vaccume line? I thought i would take it back and have them check and see if they can find a leak with the die the put in the system. If it did have a leak i would have thought it would last longer than the one trip after a charge befoe it stopped cooling good.

Eddie in Texas

YAh, If I could turn back the clock, I would have gotten one of these when my kids were small, we did a lot of stuff, but this would have been really cool. (I had a VW van and we cammped a lot in it (not a Westphalia, darn). My kids are now in their late 30s and I have grand kids.

You need a little test light to tell when the compressor clutch is engaged. (slight possible the clutch is slipping, at high RPMs) I think theres also a disconnect that drops the AC under full throttle. I need to check into that.

Toyota AC is pretty straight forward. If you have a digital food thermometer, stick it in the duct and see what the air temp is.

I think the mixture doors (hot/cold) are manual, might double check to make sure. I also think there is a manual water valve for the heater, make sure it is turning off (on the engine side of the firewall)

There are a lot of air leaks, so may/may not be an AC problem. I know when its really cold outside, my truck heater will not keep the cab warm unless I close the curtain between the cab and the coach.

ALSO - put the AC on recycle air, rather than fresh air. this may help

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

My 86 Escaper, ready for the weekend is 6160lb at the Co-Op scale

Yes, you've done a great job with yours Waiter!

My Nova Star weighed in at 4400lbs. No generator or roof AC, 1/2 tank gas, other tanks empty. Otherwise loaded w/dishes, chairs, ez-up shade, & everything else that's kept in there. Maybe lighter since no beer/wine on board. Ha Ha

WME - Do you have AC and a generator? (I don't)

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Yes to both.

Converter, inverter, 100ah AGM battery. Full water, empty gray/black. Food and other necessary stuff.

Sunday afternoon was a butiful day up here in NW Ohio, I had finished testing the water tanks and all three were full (fresh / Black / Gray). It looked like the projects "To-Do" list was getting short.

I Needed to go out for a test drive to check the Air Conditioner, new water pump, PVC valve, and fuel filter.

Wow, This thing rides nice. Seems like its a lot quieter (new, thicker, lexan front window)

We have a truck scale were I work, so decided to stop by there and see how much this thing weighs.

The ToyHouse is empty, with the exception of the full tanks, there's nothing inside like pots and pans, or stuff like that.

Weight was 5,780 lbs. I need to check and see what the bag pressure is, but the ride is good and stable (I have new tires all the way around).

Getting ready for the big trip, just hope gas prices don't jump to high.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Are you going to weigh it after you get it fully loaded? Our past Sunrader 4x4 18 footer weighed in at 6800 + fully loaded with the dog and my wife on board. It would be interesting to know how much all the junk weighs you plan to pile in. Have not weighed the Gulfstream.

I'll try and make it a point to run across the scale when we head north. That should be my heaviest weight (empty black and gray)

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

• 1 year later...

Ran across the scale today, 5,970 lbs -

Tools and some spare parts, no water, no groceries no cloths. Driver, but no passenger.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto