first time owner

thebigship

We just bought a 1985 toyota Huntsman. WOOT! WOOT! We've never owned a motorhome and aren't entirely clear on the in's and out's of basic maintenance. And, of course, there is no owner's manual. We are a little intimidated by all of the knobs and hoses. I think we've figured out what most things are, but aren't necessarily sure how to use them properly nor do we know what we need to do to maintain them.

There's a hose attachment on the driver's side with a little stopper that when pushed launches antifreeze about four feet and all over my pants. pretty sure this is where i fill up the water tank. but what do i do with all of this antifreeze?

This is just the first of many, many questions i have.

Does anyone know where we can find a manual or know of any good resources for motorhome maintenance 101? an introduction to the basics would be great! I want to make sure we don't do something dumb and ruin our new toy.

Thebigship;

Welcome - On the first of November of Last year - I was writing an almost word-for-word post on this forum.

Check the Files Section. I lucked out and there are manuals for almost all my stuff. What I've discovered, a lot of these MHs are very similar, so you may not get an exact manual, but the similarities will help i.e. furnace, frig, stove, water heater, power converter.

ALSO - Check the Yahoo group - Most of the people that hang out here also hang out there. Personally, I like the Web "Forum" style of interface, thats why I hang out here more.

While your over at the Yahoo groups, Also look at their files.

I was very lucky, I had looked around for about two months and found a Dolphin in very good condition (good bones), but needed some TLC. What I have today is a very nice MH thats in excellent condition that has been brought up to date with current technology. i.e. LED lights, 12 volt converter,110 volt inverter, radio, TV DVD player, etc.

This is our (my wife and I) first MH and this will be our first experience at something like this. We're planning a 10,000 Alaska trip next month and we're starting to get excited.

That fitting may be your city water fitting. You should have another port to fill your water tank (maybe) :rolleyes:

Thats a good sign to see antifreeze, that means someone probably took care of it.

Good luck with yours. :ThumbUp:

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

thank you for the replies. even mr wise guy up there. ha.

i will definitely look the files over and see what we can find. i'm sure we'll get it figured out.

i've researched enough now to discover the reason for antifreeze. and looking at the MH

it became quickly apparent that it had been taken care of very very well. i'm very pleased

with our purchase.

we're hoping to jump on the road in about six months and make an trek of unknown

destinations. i hope to have a good understanding of how to operate this beast. i am

thoroughly excited!

thank you so much for the tips.

good luck and godspeed.

Join both groups! The information and people that you will meet through these groups will prove to be invaluable. I consult both daily and am amazed at the sheer breadth of information available. It really does take a lot of the intimidation out of it. Congrats on the purchase! Nothing better than RV'n.

there is slso anthor group called Yoda tech for toyota tech i have seen good truck tec on there