Hey folks,

Yesterday I was about to top up the power steering fluid in my Toy for the first time, and just to be safe I checked the Haynes manual to see what it recommended. It said Dextron II ATF, which I thought was a transmission fluid. Is this what the Toys use? I've got an automatic '86 22RE in mine. I asked the guy at the local auto parts shop and he wondered if maybe it was a misprint in the Haynes?

Yes, Dex II or newer dex. DO NOT use powersteering fluid.

• 3 months later...

Yes, Dex II or newer dex. DO NOT use powersteering fluid.

What happens if you use power steering fluid instead of tranmission fuild? I wondered the same thing about transmission fluid called for in the toyota manual to be used for the power steering and so I asked the guy at our local auto parts store.

He said to just use power steering fluid...so I did.:Poster_oops: What problems will this cause? and what should I do?

I'd be more concerned if you used Power Steering fluid in the transmission.

Essentially, they are the same. T Fluid is a little better quality and can handle heat a little better.

As for mixing, Not a big deal, Drain as much as you can and refill with DEX II or DEX III

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

• 1 month later...

They are NOT the same, and being around MANY Celicas with the same driveline, what you will probably experience first is leaks starting, including the infamous "alternator lubricator", and then lines starting to bleed through.

I would reccomend draining the steering fluid and putting in the correct Dexron ATF - BTW, there is no "T" in Dexron.

Edited by a2ndopinion