My new CABOVER BED EXTENSION

A few weeks ago the wife and i took our new to us 92 Warrior out on a small camping trip to test everything out. All went well except we felt a little tight in the cabover bed. I came home from the trip with an idea. I made a CABOVER BED EXTENSION. Now we can sleep north and south in our bed! I used 1/2" Plywood to make this extension. I also added a staind 1-1/2 piece of lumber as a push bull handle. I added carpet so things look nice. All i need to do is make a cushion that is 5" thick to go on this extension. The 1-1/2" wood pull handle will also help keep the new cushion in place for our feet while we sleep. The Toy is parked in the barn waiting on the spring break trip. I crawled up on the bed with the new extension in the out position and it sure is going to work great for us. FOR SOME REASON I CANT GET THE PICS TO UPLOAD. I CAN EMAIL THEM IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO SEE.

Than looks good!

Curious, how do you enter and exit, will it support your weight OK as you climb in and out or sit on the edge? Is the plywood attached somehow? I like the idea but not sure I would want to sleep with my head towards the front, would be even more claustrophobic for me. I like the idea so much that I plan to widen ours also but only to a queen size. Unfortunately I just bought a new mattress for the full size. I still have to put new foam in one side of my couch and dinette cushions so maybe that's where the full size mattress will end up and order a new queen, its the same foam!

Looks nice. I really like the idea of extending the bed (maybe not too late to reconfigure mine for such an option). I also like the fact that you didn't go overboard with 3/4 inch plywood as that seems unnecessary to support the weight of your toes.

Now we can sleep north and south in our bed!
Oh, I thought you just wanted some additional space for 2 ppl. If you're suffering from not having enough leg room, then extending bed and sleeping in this configuration is your only solution. You are adding width as well. :)
I like the idea but not sure I would want to sleep with my head towards the front
From a logistic view, getting in and out of bed via the "foot" isn't ideal. Entering/exiting a bed via the side is most natural for our bodies to do. I like the idea of an extension that simply adds some width (still sleep in the normal direction) as opposed to shimmying either head first or foot first into/out of bed.
(sleeping with head towards front)... would be even more claustrophobic for me
I did such an extension for my mom and visiting aunt & uncle (real intended use), and tried to sell them the idea to sleep in the normal direction with the extension. My uncle's complaint however was that he felt closed in up by the front of the cab and wanted to sleep N & S. Ultimately they ended up sleeping with their feet towards the front of the cab! And so we needed to add some additional support in the form of some 3" ABS sewer pipe for their heavy heads! ABS was cheap, light, and easy enough to assemble or put away when not needed. Talk about a strange arrangement tho! While it certainly had a very "open" feeling, picture getting in and out of bed in this configuration! Crazy Germans and their "space"! :) The final setup was a slightly less than full cab width extension in which there was just enough room to enter/exit the bed via the one side (maybe about 18" opening and similar to Eddies plywood dimensions except pushed up against the driver side). This also kept some space open to get out the door.

Good job w/ your extension Eddie. You should post your new dimensions vs. the original layout. Curious how much more square footage you have now that you have a longer AND wider bed.

• 1 month later...

To the OP: So, is the extension the full depth of the upper cab bed so the weight of the cushions helps to hold the extension board in place? I like it appreciate you posting this. Maybe my hubby and I will be able to sleep together again whilst camping. Did you carpet the whole board?

The extension goes about half way under the cushions. The wife and i have used it about 5 times now and we love it. It is like sleeping in a king size bed! It is fully carpeted. I did this so while sliding it in during the day and out during the night the carpet keeps from scratching or tearing anything up.

Eddie in Texas

I hate to sound dense but here goes: when the board is not extended, it only goes about halfway under the cushions? And then how much do you have extended out when you do pull it? Okay, I guess I'm just asking for the dimensions, lol. Do you feel claustrophobic at all up there? Also, I wonder if it could be slid over towards the driver wall/window so as to give a little more room from crawling in and out by the door side? It's a fabulous idea, though and when (if) we ever manage to find our bigger toy I'm going to try hard to talk my hubby into giving it a go!

Deedles when it is pulled out it goes about half way under the bed cushions. It pulls out 18 inches and i had a cusshion made to fit. Yes it could be cut off by the passenger side maybe a foot and you would still have plenty of room for sleeping. This would also make it so that you could leave it in the out position and still get in and out of the motorhome. I have a 92 Warrior so my cabover bed area is plenty tall. The wife and i can sit up when we are in bed.

Eddie in Texas