I asked my mechanic about headers, dual exhaust etc. His words were "For a stock engine installing a higher flow exhaust from the heads back would actually degrade performance". He worked for Toyota for 20 plus years. Anyhow he said the engine is set up for the amount of pressure the stock exhaust creates. But that pressure is from the catalytic converter forward. In other words you can add a high flow exhaust from the cat back. That's exactly what I did. I bought the JCWhitney Pacesetter exhaust. It fits on the stock Toyota hangers. But I did have to do some mods to make it work. The exhaust tip is too short for the RV configuration and so it must be extended out further in order to make it past the edge of the rv's side. Second my truck was longer than stock, so I had to fabricate a extension from the catalytic converter to the pipe in front of the muffler. I will post some links below. I went with buying it from JCWhitney because they will take it back, no questions asked and pay return shipping. The exhaust is also available from Jegs.com. JCWhitney has an incorrect image the kit, Jegs has the correct image so go to jegs to see what it actually looks like. It sounds great, a nice little throaty sound. And it definitely runs better than with the stock exhaust. Just be prepared to do some mods to make it work. Best part is that it uses the stock hangers. The stock hangers use a rubber donut type of hanging system. Don't throw away or cut your donuts. They are $17 apiece from Toyota. All that said you might also do well having a muffler shop build you a cat back high flow exhaust for about the same price. All I suggest is that you demand the stock hanger system with the donuts be used. Here is the links.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/tfx-performance-kat-back-exhaust-systems-stainless-steel-tips/p2006396.jcwx?filterid=c15855d2183y1991j1

http://www.jegs.com/i/Pace+Setter/766/86-2800/10002/-1

• 9 months later...

I am not sure if there are headers offered for the V6 2wd, I had a set on 2 four runners and yes they will improve performance AND lower underhood temps, the crossover behind the engine cooks the backside of the engine and with headers it eliminate that crossover and heat associated with it. and its just about the only thing that will wake up a V6.

I can post up what the girl who bought my headers had to say about the power increase, it is very noticeable to say the least.

• 5 months later...

I love when a mechanic really doesnt know what they are talking about in regards to the exhaust system on a 3.0. I would probably ask him why they put all the computer controlled sensors on a truck if indeed the values are "set" for a stock exhaust. Truth is the stock exhaust on the 3.0 is one of the worst designs I have ever seen as far as that retarded crossover pipe. It is too bad that someone hasnt come up with a hybrid crossover that brings the exhaust down is two equal pipes that feed the cat. Im still looking for a set of headers for the truck since my crossover is leaking ... again.

I love when a mechanic really doesnt know what they are talking about in regards to the exhaust system on a 3.0. I would probably ask him why they put all the computer controlled sensors on a truck if indeed the values are "set" for a stock exhaust. Truth is the stock exhaust on the 3.0 is one of the worst designs I have ever seen as far as that retarded crossover pipe. It is too bad that someone hasnt come up with a hybrid crossover that brings the exhaust down is two equal pipes that feed the cat. Im still looking for a set of headers for the truck since my crossover is leaking ... again.

I would think any good muffler shop could fabricate a system with the crossover down under. Can't remember whats on the passenger side but why can't you run a cat on both sides if you wanted dual. Dual on the V6 here in CA might be a legal issue with the smog rules. For instance when I got my 91 V6 smog test the tech questioned why I had two cats (inline). My answer was that it was factory which it is. But he had never seen dual cats like that before. Here are some headers fr the V6 but not legal in CA http://www.car-stuff.com/store/toyotapickup19901995pacesetterp4072c11831171636.html?prodSlot=Product+Listings+Page%3A3