Propane tank on Dolphin - horizontal?

toyotaskilodge

I just bought a 83 or 84 20' dolphin and it came with what looks like a bbq tank on its side that is in the rear compartment. I have read the other forums and don't know how to tell if it is a horizontal tank or not. Do I need to switch this tank or can I use this tank on its side (heard of possible big flames coming from oven if I do so)? It has a clamp in the lpg storage area that fits the current tank. I would like to be sure i'm not going to burn me or the dolphin down. Thanks for the input!

I just looked at the tank and it has an OPD, it might not be a modern one, just looks like a regular bbq tank. It does have a fuel gauge to tell when it is full on its side. thanks again

Edited by toyotaskilodge

If it has a gauge it most likely is intended to be on it's side, when in doubt ask your propane dealer. If it's a horizontal tank it all ready has a bleeder valve so it is exempt and they should fill it for you.

It might look like a BBQ tank, but its not ( They are the same size and everything)

Take a look at this thread:

http://toyotamotorho...?showtopic=3448

The tank we have is a Horizontal tank. It must be vertical for filing, and must be horizontal for using.

The Horizontal Tank is exempt from the OPD modification.

The thread is left handed, (backwards from normal) so be careful.

After I modified my tank and hose fittings to the new style ACME fitting, I can now use a standard BBQ tank as my spare. BUT - And this is important, The BBQ Tank MUST be vertical. So, when I use the BBQ Tank, I have it sitting on the ground and my new hose is long enough to reach it.

(I leave the Horiz tank in the compartment, and set the BBQ tank on the ground)

5Toyota if you look the photos the horzontal rv tanks have two ears on them so they lay on the side up right bbq tanks are not ment too lay down