Interesting 4x4 RV

ToyoGuy

Saw this at the night market in Laos. Couldn't find the owners to get a look inside. The sticker on the back says: "Polycamper"

Cheers, TG

You drove your Sunrader to China? Wow! :)

Nice looking rig. There's a link in my thread to a company that makes something similar on a LCruiser Chassis (great site if you have a chance to check out). I like the light weight modern composite sandwich panel construction a lot vs. the old school heavy chop fiberglass shot in a mold. Tho I will say that one piece construction has its advantages AND most modern campers are very boxy looking.

Does the axle in the 2nd picture appear to be riding on top of the leaf springs?

How long you visiting China and when you due back in the states?

EDIT:

here's the builder/link I mentioned.

toyota70camper.jpg

Here's their site:

www.tourfactory.de

Amazing .pdf file here

The axle is over the leaf springs in the rear. I should have taken a few more shots but I was pretty roasted from travel fatigue. I was in Laos and Cambodia 3 wks, back now. It was amazing and I didn't want to come back. The art of free-form vehicle fabrication is alive and thriving over there. However, those shots were the only RV I saw.

You drove your Sunrader to China? Wow! :)

Nice looking rig. There's a link in my thread to a company that makes something similar on a LCruiser Chassis (great site if you have a chance to check out). I like the light weight modern composite sandwich panel construction a lot vs. the old school heavy chop fiberglass shot in a mold. Tho I will say that one piece construction has its advantages AND most modern campers are very boxy looking.

Does the axle in the 2nd picture appear to be riding on top of the leaf springs?

How long you visiting China and when you due back in the states?

EDIT:

here's the builder/link I mentioned.

www.tourfactory.de very interesting site. Why can someone here not start a business like that. I translated some of the site and if I read it correctly they only build 1 to 2 a year. Unfortunately the cost of a new chassis of any manufacturer is pricey, then add the cost of building the coach, upgrades to the chassis and systems then add some profit to make a living and the end cost is way high. I think most of our toys sold in the $20,000 plus area back in the 80 -90's. The land cruiser pickup chassis is a good chassis to use. I see them once in awhile in the states.

Here is a site discussing the wows of the land cruiser pickup in America

http://elfishingmusician.blogspot.com/2010/05/more-rants-about-why-i-cant-buy-toyota.html

The Panamerican rig is really fun because the guy fabricated most of the stuff himself. That's the ultimate "America's" trip too and something that am going to do someday if it kills me. Always fun to read that site now and then.

Most of those vehicles on Brian's offroading site are fantastic for getting to the destination and would make excellent weekend 4x4 campers, but the tourfactory.de design is far superior to all of those rigs in terms of actually being able to stay at the destination with comfort. (tho it will have to go a bit slower and be more careful). I've seen the German Inovation camper (Kokapeli logo - vehicle upside down in the sand) first hand a few years ago in La Paz. It is really high tech with aluminum cabinetry, diesel powerplant, diesel cooking, 12v refridgeration, and all the other high tech yuppie gadgets you can think of. It is really cool! The rear double section rear door tho, has to be the most retarded "mis-functional" concept ever! Sonke's camper @ GlobalExpedition forum uses the same design. Poor place for a door if you ask me yet alone "2 parts"?

Anywho, might as well just put a small shell on a truck or bring a tent if you're going to get that minimal of an approach as some of those. Personally, I like the idea that you crawl to your destination and then REMOVE your camper and do all your sight seeing from this base camp with a now ultra light vehicle. I expect to see more of the future Expedition vehicles to actually detach from the rig as standard design. It just makes sense. Also in an emergency, freeing your vehicle from the camper entirely, might be the quickest and possibly only way back to civilization.

Ooo I do like that truck a lot! The camper seems a bit much tho lol.. Seems really tall AND looks like a real challenge to back up perfectly into those slots (especially on uneven ground!). Besides that, the steel bed is only added weight and prohibits a side-slinger door. Better would seem a flatbed. Lots of good ideas tho! I especially like the fact that the overhead compartment doesn't have a sharp corner transition (when you step out of the vehicle) It appear to have a truncated side. Not sure how this sloped surface relates to the inside bed area and taking up valuable room (i.e. the front portion of the sunrader bunk)?

There are quite a few piggyback campers now out there that use a modified chasis/bed. Fun stuff.