Best way to clean interior carpet?

BillF

Wow - Now that I just spent $400 fixing the appliances, I guess I should tidy-up the beast.

What's the best way to clean the carpet? (I hate to rent a piece of equipment for 70 sq ft of carpet!, and I'm not sure of the foam stuff in cans works, or not. Plus it's Feb, and although NorCal is having great weather, I hate to make the carpet too wet, creating a mold-risk...)

Thanks,

Bill

Working in the motel industry I could give you a million pointers. But here is just a couple. As you said, mold is bad and once its there it will smell moldy for along time. So use as little water as possible. When it comes time to drying turn up the heat but open a roof vent and crack open a window. You want to get that water laden air to cycle to the outside. Use a fan and blow air across the surface, the air moving across will pull water out of the carpet. Don't over do it with the soap, use clear water in the machine and apply soap with a spray bottle. Before extracting ruff up the carpet a bit to agitate the soap into the surface. Then using clear water spray and extract at the same time to rinse the soap out of the carpet. To much soap left behind will actually attract dirt.

Waiter has the right idea, especially if its one of the companies that does the dry carpet cleaning method. No water, just a chemical that cycles through grabbing dirt and it dries quickly.

Mold is an enemy!

Vwbitts beat me to it. Mine had already had the carpet removed and had crummy linoleum. So last weekend that came out, boy howdy that was fun getting the adhesive and paper backing off. Then I reskinned with new underlayment board, screwed and glued. Then went over that with some oak flooring T&G plank. There was a soft spot in front of the sink where two plywoods butted together, but after the two stiff layers it is much better. Now the carpet is going to be an indoor outdoor carpet runner. And when it gets dirty it is going outside and get hosed off...

Yep. I ripped all the carpet out of my rig last spring. No looking back. Two boxes of wood laminate flooring from Home Depot and i have a floor i can sweep with a broom. And rugs with grippy bottoms work really well. We had a rainy trip down to Big Sur, came home and threw the rugs in the washer and swiffered the floor.

But i still have nightmares about staples.