Finally got around to installing my Addco 382 Swaybar. I had read that this bar would work, so I bought one. I had to wait almost 2 weeks before it got to my door, so I think Addco had to make one or something.

Well after it finally stopped raining here I read through the instructions again and got ready to install it. I went out with the bar, with the D bushings in their place. I put the bar up and low and behold the brackets on the 1 ton axle are not even close to lining up, and the U-bolts were to small for the axle!!! If I had not already waited an eternity to get the bar, I probably would have retured it, but not one to shy away from a challenge I came up with a plan.

I decided that I would fab up some plates and move the D-bushing location so I could proceed with the install.

IMG_0461.jpg

The holes for the mount on the drivers side are pretty close to the ones on the axle, but the passenger side is not.

Here are the plates mounted.

IMG_0463.jpg

IMG_0464.jpg

Here are the End Links installed.

IMG_0466.jpg

IMG_0465.jpg

Once I had figured out how to make the right modifications, the rest of the install went just fine. I have yet to take a test ride, but plan on doing that today. Things are pretty much complete for the rear end on my Sunrader. I even came up with a plan to install my spare tire under the coach, and got that done yesterday as well.

I hope I am not boring anyone with this, but I figure it may be a good reference for someone else who may be thinking of doing this to their Toy.

Nice looking fabrication work, with the rounded corners and deburring. :ThumbUp: My only 'critique' would be the bolts attaching at the axle, where normal design practice is to have at least 1 1/2 threads showing past the nut. But that's just being picky! :headbonk: Too many years working in QA!!

I'll be interested to hear if you can notice much change in the roll characteristics.

I just realized that I had not tightened the D-bushing nuts when I took the pic, that was one of the last steps I did LOL. The bolts have a good 1/2" past the end of the nut, and I used the locking type with the plastic in the nut threads. I also used the longest bolts I could use at the point where I mounted the plate to the axle, lock washers and washers also, there is not a lot of space on the axle bracket it'self..

Test run complete.....Nothing fell off LOL!!!

I can really tell a difference in how it rides. The back feels a lot more solid that it did without the swaybar. I can also tell I need to hurry up and order new bushings for the front swaybar. I can tell this because I can now feel extra movement in the front that I didn't experience when there was no swaybar in the back.

Definitely a fun project!!!!

Now on to getting the bath remodeled, and my SeeLevel II tank reading system installed!

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got the correct parts for the front Sway Bar, so I put those in yesterday. Pretty straight forward job, the only thing I ran into was that I needed to use some washers on the D bushing brackets. The Toyota brackets have just a hole, so the head of the bolt fits fine, the brackets I used had a slot and the head was not laying right until I used a washer.