We bought our 93 Sea Breeze in Las Vegas and drove it to our home in Boise, Idaho. On this trip we found that when climbing steep grades that forced the engine to downshift to 2nd, it would start to miss. But after many more hills and tanks of gas, we learned this: If we had just topped off the tank, it would climb hills like a champ, no missing, ran awesome. After about 100 miles, it would start the missing again when under a load. Top it off again, and it would stop. For about 100 miles. A mechanic I know suggested it might be the fuel pump. He said the pump heats the fuel and that when it gets warm, that's when it starts to fail when under a load. When you dump cold gas on it, it runs fine. For awhile. Has anyone ever had this problem? Replacing the fuel pump is pretty onerous and we'd hate to do it when it's something else. Thanks for feedback. And thanks for having a great place to go for info on our new friend! :ThumbUp:

Well it could be, but the cheap answer is a bad gas cap vent. Next time it starts missing just open the gas cap for a few seconds and keep driving and see if the miss clears up for a while.

If it makes no diff then you are back to the fuel pump OR a bad fuel filter.

Well it could be, but the cheap answer is a bad gas cap vent. Next time it starts missing just open the gas cap for a few seconds and keep driving and see if the miss clears up for a while.

If it makes no diff then you are back to the fuel pump OR a bad fuel filter.

Thanks for responding! Well, it has a new fuel filter, and we thought that if it was a bad gas cap vent we would hear a whooshing sound when we opened the gas cap. And it didn't. Is that what you mean? Thanks again. :)

If you can get a EFI pressure gauge intall it and got for a drive. See how low the pressure gets going up hill vs level ground

Does that gas cap have a vent? I was under the impression there is no vent and that the system is pressurized. I may very well be wrong but I think you should hear a woosh (pressure escaping) when you take off the cap. I am comparing this to my rig which has a 22r fuel injected turbo engine. When I remove the cap the tank is under positive pressure. Should be the same though for V6 rigs, fuel pump in the tank etc. So my big question is if I get a woosh from my tank escaping positive pressure when I remove the cap is there something wrong with my system. We had a tank fuel pump go bad in our SAAB and when climbing hills it would miss like it was running out of gas.