New Truck Radio (well, sorta)

waiter

I hated the radio my Dolphin came with. It was a cheap AM/FM Cassette that I think National put in when they built the ToyHouse.

Anyway, I bought a 94 Toyota Camry radio on E-bay for $20 - AM/FM it plugs right in. with a couple simple mods.

The connector (shown in photo) is the same for most Toyota from about 1984 till now. This connector will still be on the truck, even though its not used by the aftermarket radio.

The aftermarket radio speaker wires need to be spliced into the truck wire harness.

I had to splice in a short wire to reconnect the gray wire that was cut. This is power.

Left speaker gets connected to the left wires (Blue and Lt Green)

Right speaker connects to the next set of wires (Purple and Pink)

NOTE - The Instrument lights don't work as the 88 truck used a different connector than the 94. I need to order the small connector (fits on the 94 radio) and hook the red wire to pin 5 of the small connector. the red w black is the instrument lights.

The aftermarket mount brackets need to be modified so they can be reused with the factory Toyota radio.

I like the Toyota Radio, its electronic tuning, can scan, and has memory buttons.

WORD OF CAUTION - If you buy a Toyota Radio that has a cassette player, make sure it doesn't say "ANTI-THEFT SYSTEM". These radios have a anti theft system, if the system has been enabled, and the code is not supplied, you'll need to goto to dealer to get the code reset.

post-4544-0-58863500-1296444458_thumb.jp

Nah, I never have been a Cassette or CD person. I like listening to talk radio. so must have the SCAN feature. :-)

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

You are doing better then me I don't think I could muster a kilo bite that's why I need external memory!

• 5 months later...

Very useful info. We love our tunes andwant to upgrade radio and speakers. Crutchfield has some good buys. I was wondering how hard it is to replace front/dash speakers? I have a manual coming soon from ebay and am hoping it has some info...Thanks, AL

• 2 weeks later...

Replacing speakers in the cabs of these pickups is dead easy. Location and complexity can vary a little bit based on year. here's a quick look at the driver side on my '90

http://sunrader.blogspot.com/2010/01/carpet-carpet-carpet-and-more-carpet.html

There are loads of downloadable instruction sets for replacing speakers or stereos available online. The great thing about the older Toyotas is they used really simple fasteners - most of the work can be done with a phillips screwdriver.

Have fun.

-andrew

Very useful info. We love our tunes andwant to upgrade radio and speakers. Crutchfield has some good buys. I was wondering how hard it is to replace front/dash speakers? I have a manual coming soon from ebay and am hoping it has some info...Thanks, AL