Did I mess up?

BobBeery

My Toy is parked for the winter--snowy Michigan. I did not remove batteries to a warm place or disconnect a cable as some do, events overtook me. I wanted to keep the batteries charged up so I plugged in the shore power to the coach for an hour around Christmas and again last week. But last week I also cleared the snow off the hood and hooked up my automotive 10 amp charger to the engine battery while I was still plugged in to shore power. The good news is that the automotive charger started at 5 and dropped to 3 within 20 seconds, and down to 2and a half within a minute. The question is whether putting the charger under the hood while shore power was hooked up would damage or confuse the converter. I know alternator current goes to the coach. And who plugs in shore power while the engine is running? I must admit that because of deep snow and little time I have not gone into the coach to check anything. And in late February when I charge up I plan to do the two batteries separatly unless you all assure me that both at once is ok. Bob in Traverse City

When plugged into shore power you are only charging the coach battery. Your isolator isolates the two systems. Unless someone has done some spooky wiring.

I knew about the isolator preventing the coach from draining the battery under the hood. I didn't know if it would prevent current from the automotive charger going to the coach or not. Sounds like I am ok. Thanks.