1985 Sunrader Black Tank Removal

Viking66

I decided to start this project since the 1st football game was so lopsided...LOL

I removed the toilet, and the bolts holding the flange, went underneath and cut the bands that support the tank thinkiing it would just slide out....yeah Right!!! The flange is glued solid, and here is what I found after removing the floor and a wall in the closet.

IMG_0434.jpg

IMG_0433.jpg

I am going to cut the pipes a few inches from the floor so I will have enough room for me to pull them out from underneath.

I know it sounds crazy, but this kind of thing really is fun. I do not have any plans to use the Sunrader for 2 months, so I have the time to get this thing fixed up good.

I am also going to remove the sink in the bath to give a little more room in a place that is already lacking!!

Well, since you're finding it so much fun, I now know who to call if my black water tank ever needs replacing!

I don't blame you for removing the sink in the bathroom. Too small to be useful and unnecessary since there is a double sink (1 too many, IMHO) in the kitchen. At least they never decided to load these down with a bidet, hot-tub, sauna and laundry sink as well.

I only have 1 sink in the Kitchen in my Sunrader. A P.O. re-worked the kitchen because the back window had leaked. I see they did a pretty crappy job since I have had a chance to look everything over real good. That project is for another day and time though!

Well I got the Tank out!!!!

IMG_0440.jpg

I had to cut the flange I found my all purpose saw worked best.

IMG_0439.jpg

I also took out the sink and associated piping for it. After I got the tank down I saw that the shower drain was not even hooked up.

Now that the tank is out, I can proceed with my Suspension work. After that is done, I am going to look at re-engineering the Black Tank piping, and how it goes back in. I really had to work to get it to come down. I think they put the tank in prior to setting the camper body on the frame. Only one of the pipes in the back will be re-used as a vent since I will no longer have a sink, which the pipe on the right was the drain for.

My guess from what I see how it was connected is they made the floor first, probably vertical, the set the body on that, then the whole thing on the frame somehow. My reasoning for all of this is that the bolts that hold the tank straps to the floor ended up right on the side of the frame. There would be no way to put the nut and washer on if any of this had been done backwards of what my guess is.

Viking,

I know where that lug wrench is that you lost .:rolleyes:

What went into the black tank! Toilet, Batch sink, and Shower???

What model is this??

John

From the little I know, it was not unheard of to pipe a rear shower (and sink) directly in to the black water tank which can lead to a rather unpleasant shower experience if you don't notice that the BWT is nearly full when you start.

The '93 Winnebago WT321RB has the rear sink going to the BWT, the shower to the GWT.

Since you're in the middle of redoing the piping anyway, how about running a line (and valve) from the GWT to the BWT. That way you could dump the contents of the BWT then use the contents of the GWT to flush the BWT.

Hey, I knew the 4-way was there. It was in the Camper when I bought it. I found while I was vacuuming everything out. A pretty good spot to keep it in actually.

Yes, the toilet, small bath sink, and the shower all went directly to the BWT. The J traps were used to keep the smell out I am sure. If there was a way for me to pipe the shower over to GWT I would, but the frame is in the way :-( The idea of piping the GWT into the BWT as a way to wash it out may be possible. I will need to look and see if I can pipe it over the frame and still have enough drop so it will flow...good idea Derek!!!!

I am not sure I mentioned this, but I also removed the wall in the bath where the sink was, what a pain that was!. There were some holes in the panel wall that would need to be fixed, and I also had to cut those 2 pipes lower so I could get the BWT out. I am looking at re-doing all of the walls in the bath with something a bit more modern, found some nice stuff for shower walls at Lowes, $20.00 or so a sheet.

Waiter, what Branch of the Service are you in? I am retired Navy.

We had an 18ft sunrader. The shower dumped into the black. The black on the 18 footers is only 8 gals. So I disconnect it from the tank, capped it off at the tank and extended the shower drain out a bit with an elbow and a hose connector. I placed a 5 gal bucket under it when we took a shower or ran a hose out into the woods when we were boon-docking. The sunrader was a 4x4 so it had some height, the 2x's are lower to the ground so you gotta make sure the 5 gal is not to high to get the hose into. On average we found that we only used about 2 1/2 gals total for two of us to take a shower. I used a home sink rinse off nozzle as my shower head. It shut on and off and provided a really strong spray to get the shampoo out and soap off in a hurry.

post-1-028080500 1295829829_thumb.jpg