Most bits and pieces are about the same, but the 20R is approaching 30 years old, the 22re was used up to 94 or so.

So there may be a difference in a few more years.

I'd agree with WME that the 20r parts won't be anything you'll have problems locating for the rest of our lives, but the 22re will definitely be more readily available (plus just a better engine if you're looking to buy a toy motorhome).

20r was pretty bullet proof too! Never broke down so no need to ever look for parts anyways haha.

If you are doing your own work and if you have lots of time to look for parts, the 20R parts are available and inexpensive. I recently acquired a '78 Toy Bandit, 20R, manual. The shop that has done a great job working on my 88 Toyota PU (and an 82 toy PU before that) has been going over the Bandit. I knew when I got the Bandit that it needed, at a minimum, a new muffler and tailpipe. What I did not know was that the manifold was cracked. The shop called around and all the manifolds available in local junk yards were also cracked so they finally ordered a new part out of LA. Another issue to consider about repair of the older 20R and something that the shop owner and I have joked about is that they have only a couple of mechanics who are old enough to have experience working on carburetor engines. The younger guys only know fuel injection systems.

In addition to repairing the exhaust system, the shop reattached wires to the sender so that the fuel gauge works now and reattached heater fan wires (it was chilly with no heater fan). The also found where the rear brake lights were grounded. I have a major leak under the dash and will have the cracked front window gasket replaced, which I am optimistic will correct the problem.

Sue