newbie with generator question

warrior92

Hello everybody,

Last week the wife and i purchase a 1992 warrior with 52K miles on it. The previous owner installed a front reciever hitch and a brand new generator that i got with the purchase. I want to buy a small extension cord (say 12 foot) and snake it from the generator at the front up threw the frame into the generator compartment. I want to plug it into the shoreline power and be able to run the generator going down the highway. This way i could use my roof air during summer months. Do you think this would be okay?

Hello everybody,

Last week the wife and i purchase a 1992 warrior with 52K miles on it. The previous owner installed a front reciever hitch and a brand new generator that i got with the purchase. I want to buy a small extension cord (say 12 foot) and snake it from the generator at the front up threw the frame into the generator compartment. I want to plug it into the shoreline power and be able to run the generator going down the highway. This way i could use my roof air during summer months. Do you think this would be okay?

The generator that Winnebago put in those units (I also have a '92 Warrior - 321RL instead of the more common 321 RB) was a Kohler 2.5 KW unit that was designed to be able to run as you drove, should you so desire. I don't know what kind of generator you have up front - in fact, I would love to have a more complete description with pictures! The first concern I would have is where the exhaust pipe is - you don't want to be inhaling the exhaust fumes while you drive, as that would be unsafe. I'm also a little concerned about a fuel tank in front of you - how safe are you in a collision? However, assuming the genny puts out enough power, I don't know why you couldn't run it as you drive.

I was thinking of mounting my small motorcycle up front until a friend of mine asked "Won't that block the air to your radiator & will it get in the way of your headlights?" I had already asked the third question "How will I check my engine?" Looks like that generator blocks your entire radiator.

The bouncing up and down will bother the gas in the tank and may effect the oil in the crankcase. These engines were designed to be run sitting on the ground.

David,

I have the 321RB. It is a very clean unit as well with all manuals. I think all i need to do with the exhaust pipe is weld on an extension and run it downward. I tried to attach a few pics. Not sure if it worked.

Pix worked fine - though they were pretty small for my old eyes ;). I'd like to see the genny with the cover off... What brand and model is it? My off-the-cuff recollection is that you need about 1800 watts to run the roof A/C.

Snow here in TX today so havn't been outside. I will get more pics of the genny with the cover off and make and size this week. The genny on the front so far has seemed to work fine. The brase is welded to the frame. My headlights have no blockage and i can service the engine. I have not noticed any overheating or anything. Made a trip from Ennis Texas to San Antonio running mostley 62-67mph. Gauge stays a liitle below half way.

I have not noticed any overheating or anything. Made a trip from Ennis Texas to San Antonio running mostley 62-67mph. Gauge stays a liitle below half way.

I actually don't see overheating as a concern. As long as that cover isn't sucked right up against your grill, there will be plenty of air flow - that's what your radiator fan is for! For myself, I just see planting that thing into the back of someone at an intersection - a state patrol car would be my luck...

I just read the other day about how in some jurisdictions it's illegal to have anything mounted in front of a bumper (with the exception of a plow).

It may well be an equipment violation in some places - but I wouldn't be very concerned about that. Most police have a lot better things to do than stop you to write up a tiny infraction ticket for an equipment violation. It's kind of like a broken taillight - if they are looking for an excuse to smell your breath and ask permission to look in your trunk, it gives them "reasonable articulable suspicion" to make a traffic stop. If you don't do anything else to get their attention, though, they'd have to be awfully bored to hassle you over the placement of your generator.