Cruise Control Help

waiter

I found the cruise control control box while installing the remote starter.

The CC does work, but has issues;

1) The highest it be set is 59 mph, If I try and set it higher it drops back to 59. It did a good gob of holding 59, even in hilly country.

2) Its to sensitive on the throttle To fast on needing more and also releasing, it gets into a hunting mode.

3) Brake drops out OK, but when I turn on the turn signals (either one) it drops out also.

Attached are a couple photos of the Servo and the Control box, Any help on identifying these and documentation would be greatly appreciated.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

post-4544-015191600 1293848360_thumb.jpg

post-4544-025536400 1293848367_thumb.jpg

post-4544-039407700 1293848378_thumb.jpg

Edited by waiter

I have an Dana's Electronic Speed Control in my '91 Winnebago Spirit. It seems that Dana's was one of the largest aftermarket ESC companies in the 80'-90's. Perhaps this will give you a start point. The company is based in Maumee, Ohio and is known as Dana Holding Company, www.dana.com. If they didn't make your unit I bet that they know who did.

I have issues similar to your's with my speed control. I have a V-6 with an automatic transmission. I rarely use it. If I'm on level ground with no breeze or a tailwind then I turn it on and monitor it carefully.

If you need to look at my documentation (from July '89) I can try to copy and post it but it would have to be soon as I'm taking my rig on the road for a long trip in a couple of days.

Good luck with your search.

Dave

Dave;

After spending hours Goggling, I had a suspicion it was a Dana. However, I still no leads on any documentation.

If you would be so kind to post the documentation, that would be great.

I think a lot of the ToyHouses have these, and they probably would work (better) if adjusted properly.

I may take the ToyHouse out and play with the gain (sensitivity) and Frequency to see if this will help.

I'm still not sure what the Frequency does, but on other units I've played with (Audiovox), there is an adjustment to tell it what the max pulse count will be. If the max pulse count is adjusted to low, it cant count the higher number of pulses it receives when going faster, hence the 59mph max speed (Sounds good in theory)

Any help would be appreciated.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

• 8 months later...

FOLLOWUP - This is a followup to two posts I made regarding the Cruise Control

http://toyotamotorho...?showtopic=3450

http://toyotamotorho...?showtopic=3940

Mine originally worked, but had some issues when setting the speed and also brake light issues. I solved the brake light problem when I installed a relay to isolate the CC disconnect from the brake light circuit.

I also had the plastic rack gear (rack and pinion) strip out when we were on our trip to Alaska. After searching and searching and searching, I found a similar unit on e-bay - The servo, the part that moves the throttle cable, was from a Harley Davidson Motorcycle (circa 1990). Although the units looked identical, they were not. There are some electrical differences and also a slight difference in the rack, its a tiny bit wider.

I was able to take the electrical stuff out of mine (motor, clutch contact assembly, control board) and install it in the Harley housing, and it worked fine.

On the drive test, I played with the gain and centering adjustments and got it working great. It now engages at any speed (I The max I tried was 70mph) and does a good job of holding it, even on slight inclines (overpasses).

The unit I have is an obvious aftermarket, but is NOT a Dana unit as was previously thought. I still don't know who the manufacture is, but I found similar unit used on Harley Davidson motorcycle.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

• 1 month later...

wondering if anyone here has had problems and solved then for a 1990 dolphin, V6, Auto, OD with the cruise controls in the steering wheel as apposed to one that sticks out from the steering column. when i turn it on the cruise light on the dash comes on but the set button doesn't set. wondering if there are some things a shade tree can do before spending hundreds at a dealer or repair shop.

It sounds like yours might be factory installed.

See if you can find a Factory Service Manual for the truck. I have one for my 88 that may be close enough to help.

Look in the electrical diagrams and see if it looks the same as yours. This will help a lot if the electrical diagram is correct

The first question I ask - Did it ever work?

Check the brake switch to make sure its somehow not holding the CC in a disengaged mode. i.e. any LED brake light modifications lately?

I also suspect a broken wire in the steering wheel, so If you have a diagram, you can check the continuity of the steering wheel push buttons.

Heres a screen shot of the cruise control section for an 88 model.

post-4544-0-01704700-1318409595_thumb.jp

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

never thought about the it receiving a signal that the breaks were being applied. don't know if this is possible, but will check it out, the emergency break light stays on all the time. last owner didn't know why???? before i do anything about the cruise i'll figure out the light. could i have such dumb luck that the light is causing the problem? probably not but i'll give it try. still haven't totally finished the repairs after the first camp trip. i have a taurus that need attention, bad heater core. i know, all taurus' have problems.

Emergency brake light might cause this, if there's some weird ground backfeed.

Anyway - This needs to be looked at as it could be something simple OR a major safety issue (no brakes in the front or back)

Anyway, Check the brake fluid level. This is the most common cause.

ALSO - check front / rear brakes for adjustment / actuation. i.e. if the rear brakes are so far out of adjustment that they arn't engaging, this would do it.

Sounds like your going to be doing a brake inspection / bearing regrease (HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS)

If the rear / front brakes aren't getting pressure, this will also turn on the brake light.

Check the rear brake proportioning valve should be wired all the way open. it may currently have a rod to self adjust it (in a pickup, this adjusts the pressure to the rear brakes depending on load (weight), but the loads are so great in a toyhouse, it can be wired open all the time to deliver max pressure to the rear brakes.

Download the FSM. There is a very good section on brakes - the 88 FSM should be reasonable close to a 91.

If you can't find the FSM, I have it on my airplane web site:

http://iflyez.com/DO...vice_Manual.pdf

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

i topped off the break fluid, only just a smidgin, that's not much, below the min line, the break light went off as it is supposed too. i haven't tried the cruise yet, it's sort of torn down a little fixing the few things from our little outing. still need to do some testing on the heater, but has been too warm here to turn it on. so once i get it it back together i'll be testing it. one thing i lucked out on, the previous owner had changed the propane hose so i can us a vertical tank outside, ie carrying along some extra. love this site.

as i said earlier, when i topped of the break fluid the break light went off on the dash. i had noticed that when the emergency was pulled it got a very slight bit brighter, didn't notice it at first but did with a closer look while playing with the switch on the emergency break. just took it out on the road and the cruise control now works very well. checked all the controls, resume, cancel etc. holds speed well, set once at 57 and once at 52. just a reminder this was on a 90 Dolphin and the cruise controls are part of the steering wheel. thanks waiter for the help and idea. the entire breaking system is somehow tied to the cruise, more than just canceling the setting. love this site.

• 1 year later...

New motorhome owner. Never owned one. I bought a 1994 Warrior and I'm enjoying getting it ready for short trips to start. My problem is that the cruise control engages OK but soon afterward I get a vibration from the engine area and it disengages or I just shut it off. I'd like to use it but it's not a necessity. Don't want to spend too much on a new one. Can it be adjusted or need to be replaced?

vibration. ???

The only thing I can think of where CC might cause a vibration is if the CC is trying to floor the gas pedal and its hitting its end stop and the CC motor keeps running. (Electric servo unit vs vacuum servo unit)

Is that whats going on?

If so, I might recommend disengaging the Overdrive, if you have one. If your CC has adjustments, you might turn the gain down a littl.

Got any photos of the servo unit, is it the same as mine?

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I think mine works as designed, but whenever I come over an overpass it downshifts from 4th (OD). I am talking Florida.

If I do not use it at the overpasses (In florida they ramp up a bit to crossover then drop back down) I can let the vehicle decelerate slightly & it catch back up down hill -- all without downshifting.

I have found my CC to be somewhat a nuisance - I do use it some when running flat & lever.

as i said earlier, when i topped of the break fluid the break light went off on the dash. i had noticed that when the emergency was pulled it got a very slight bit brighter, didn't notice it at first but did with a closer look while playing with the switch on the emergency break. just took it out on the road and the cruise control now works very well. checked all the controls, resume, cancel etc. holds speed well, set once at 57 and once at 52. just a reminder this was on a 90 Dolphin and the cruise controls are part of the steering wheel. thanks waiter for the help and idea. the entire breaking system is somehow tied to the cruise, more than just canceling the setting. love this site.

If your brake fluid was low it would be a good ideal to have a look at your brake pads.

• 3 years later...
On 12/31/2010 at 7:18 PM, waiter said:

I found the cruise control control box while installing the remote starter.

The CC does work, but has issues;

1) The highest it be set is 59 mph, If I try and set it higher it drops back to 59. It did a good gob of holding 59, even in hilly country.

2) Its to sensitive on the throttle To fast on needing more and also releasing, it gets into a hunting mode.

3) Brake drops out OK, but when I turn on the turn signals (either one) it drops out also.

Attached are a couple photos of the Servo and the Control box, Any help on identifying these and documentation would be greatly appreciated.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

post-4544-015191600 1293848360_thumb.jpg

post-4544-025536400 1293848367_thumb.jpg

post-4544-039407700 1293848378_thumb.jpg

Hey, I'm digging up an old thread.  Do you know the brand and model number of the CC system you are showing here?  I have this same one and I'm looking for a replacement throttle cable for mine.  I looked up the various model numbers on each specific part, but I couldn't determine the brand of the system. 

Thanks!