1985 Sunrader, Let the fun begin!!

Viking66

Ok, I got it home!!!

First thing of course was getting out the pressure washer and getting how ever many years of grime off the outside. The cleaning is no where near complete, but I hate to work on things that are dirty.

I am getting the engine battery charged real good, and will begin to work out the fuel issue tomorrow.

Here are some pics with it finally in my driveway!!!

The on/close valve for the LP gas does not want to turn, add that to the list!!!

Overall I think this will be a fun project. My wife didn't faint when she went out to look at it...LOL

post-4572-017113900 1292802512_thumb.jpg

post-4572-029079700 1292802541_thumb.jpg

post-4572-052087800 1292802561_thumb.jpg

post-4572-000434400 1292802587_thumb.jpg

post-4572-072061600 1292802610_thumb.jpg

post-4572-040304200 1292802648_thumb.jpg

post-4572-007711700 1292802670_thumb.jpg

post-4572-056115500 1292802696_thumb.jpg

post-4572-066351600 1292802771_thumb.jpg

My Bro-in-Law helped me run a 30 Amp RV outlet to the side of my house today, he is an electrician and stayed with me free for 3 months, so I think the work was fair...LOL

Here is my first evaluation of inside items.

All but 1 set of lights work, the one above the couch probably need bulbs.

The rooftop AC turns on and blows good, not sure how well it cools because the temp here was in the mid 50s when I turned it on. The heater blower blows, no LP gas in the bottles to check to see if it lights.

The fridge does not seem to be working. I set it to 120v and left it for awhile, and no coolling what so ever. Never had one of these but I did find a manual on the fridge I have, so I will go over that. The manual mentions a circuit breaker...any idea where that may be?

The water pump works..what I thought was the water pump turns out to be a filtering system, I also found some spare filters in one of the cabinets!

The wiring for the coach battery is not hooked up and taped together, not sure where any of the wires go, so if anyone could possibly put up a pic, or a decent diagram I would really appreciate it ;-)

I did not get a chance to see if the fuel pump is why the gas is not getting to the engine, was late after getting the electrical run. I am going to look at that tomorrow.

Well, that's all for today.

Thanks again for all of the help you have all provided so far!!

Got it running!!!! ;-)

I only had to remove the gas tank 2 times LOL Turns out that it was not the pump, it was the positive wire on the fuel pump bracket inside the tank.

I got out about a pound of rust from inside the tank, and since I had bought a new pump, and pump filter I went ahead and used the new one. May be over kill, but at least I will know what was fixed and when.

Now on to more fun stuff like getting some propane, and seeing if the heater, water heater and stove works. I am going to see if my fridge works on propane. I tried on electric, and it didn't do a thing. I looked for where it pugs in, but cannot find where the end of the cord goes, oh well, something else to do ;-)

I am sure I will have another 100 questions, so be prepared LOL

Took it for my first ride. Thing drives like a Tank!!! LOL

Put more gas in it (Gauge works), going to run some injection cleaner through since it has been sitting awhile. It has a bit of a high idle, my guess is 950-1000 RPM, need to see why that is happening.

I also stopped and had a couple gallons of LP put in it. Not sure if it leaks gas inside, but I am sure once I turn on the gas I will know, and if I am not sure, I will just light up a smoke ;-) Hehehehehe

I am working on getting a house battery put in, so I can see if the Genset fires up to.

Things are moving alone nicely!

Edited by Viking66

I went through the coach battery and charging system today. I have everything going fine. It took a new isolator, and a coach battery, and battery bracket. The isolator I bought is the 4 pole, the old one was a 3 pole. I had to run a exciter wire from the positive side of the coil, and everything is now charging fine.

Tomorrow is the appliance checkout day.

I am making the most of my time off for Holiday vacation!!

I went through the coach battery and charging system today. I have everything going fine. It took a new isolator, and a coach battery, and battery bracket. The isolator I bought is the 4 pole, the old one was a 3 pole. I had to run a exciter wire from the positive side of the coil, and everything is now charging fine.

Tomorrow is the appliance checkout day.

I am making the most of my time off for Holiday vacation!!

i hope to hook up a isolator tomorrow.

[

I am working on getting a house battery put in, so I can see if the Genset fires up to.

As I found out, there has to be more than 1/4 full tank of gas or it wont start. Wishing you the best in getting it ready to camp or travel

So far I have found out that my fridge is bad, my heater will not light, my Genset does not crank, windshield wiper motor is bad, and the battery isolator was bad (Replaced now working fine)!

Doing real good so far.....LOL I have not checked out the water heater yet, but it is the kind with just a pilot light, so maybe it will work.

I still need to look at the plumbing, but from looking in every nook and cranny, the plumbing and tubing associated with it looks pretty good so far.

I also found out when I put LP in the tanks that someone had done some work in the back, and didn't tighten the gas pipe up good to the stove, good thing I can smell!!! The gas worked just fine after I tightened it up.

Congratulations..!!! Good one.. Amount seems to be really worth..!!

I made some progress today!! I got my Furnace to run. I found a local shop who had an ignitor board, and that did the trick.

I also discovered my Acu Gage works! Things are moving along, still cannot get my Genset to start, but I am working on it. I don't really have to have it going, just would like to

Doing the final check on my furnace tonight. My Brother comes in tomorrow. I bought a new thernostat, the Suburban one was a POS. Got one for $11.00 at Lowes, works Great!

I have my Genset fixed, except it is not pulling gas from the tank, it is over 1/2 full so that should not be the problem. I am going to get a good look at the fuel hose as soon as I can. I don't have to have it running, I just want to. LOL

I have to read up on the water heater so I know how to start it up, not sure if or how well it works.

That's all for today, havong tons of fun with. this thing!!

Found the problem with the fuel for the Genset. It was hooked to the wrong outlet...lol I re-installed them the way they came off when i had to lower the fuel tank to do the fuel pump fix, but that is done, so all is good there.

While I was under there I notice that the leaf spring bushings are all wore out. Putting together a list of what i need to get it to ride a bit better. I may invest in some new leaf springs and some Bilstein shocks. The fittings for air something are on the back, but not connected to anything. It currently has some Monroe Gas magnums on it, but who knows how old they are.

I think with the leaf springs and the Biulsteins it should make the ride better. I do not think I am going to put any air stuff on it at this point.

It also has some helper springs? that ride on the top of the leaf spring and rest on the frame at the top. They both look wore out as well, so I am not sure if I will need those after I replace the other items...anyone know if I need those or not?

I also found out the engine needs a thermostat, so i picked one of those up, and will put it in soon.

Have a good one!!!

Worn leaf spring bushings seem to be a very common occurrence on these. I had mine replaced at a local truck spring shop. The bushings (in rubber) were about $2.50 each (8 req'd) and they charged me $100 total to do the job. Not rocket science to replace, but it took 2 guys in a fully equipped shop (pit, jacks, torches, etc.) 2 hours to do the job. Not an easy job for an amateur to tackle in the driveway and I considered it money well spent to pay someone else to do it. Can't say I noticed any real difference going down the road, but I needed to get it done for my safety inspection.

I wouldn't replace the rear springs without a good reason. If your rear isn't sagging without the helper springs installed, I'd keep them. Helper springs I consider to be band-aids. Air shocks I don't consider a good application under a 6000lb motorhome. Air springs I don't.They're used under 18 wheelers.

What heat range thermostat did you buy? I believe Toyota recommends a 180 degree for the 4 cylinder and 190 degree for the V6.A lower temperature thermostat will not make an overheating engine run cooler. No thermostat might (a bit counter intuitive).

Derek,

I got the 190 thermostat. That is the one that pulled up when the parts guy looked it up. I replaced it today. I found that the other one was stuck open, I also found they did not use the rubber O ring, just some Permatex.

It actually makes the temp gauge move to the middle now, and builds good pressure.

I am not sure about the air bags, or shocks myself. I think that maybe some good leaf springs, and some good shocks will help.

I am retired military, so i have access to the Hobby Shop, lifts, air tools, what ever else is needed, so I will be able to do it myself.

Have you got air bags over your back axle? They are black rubber things that look like two doughnuts stacked one over the other and go between the axle and the frame.

Sunrader used those (my '88 has them) and that could be what your inflation valves are for.

In the simplest iteration they have two air valves coming out the side of the body, one for each air bag. By varying the pressure between 20 and 90 psi you can take sage out of the rear and even level the thing. Don't mistake them for shocks, if anything I suspect that they make it a bit bouncier, but they do lift that back end up. In the more complicated systems, as I have, they also have a compressor mounted on the frame, an air storage tank, and some control valves so that you can pull into a spot and use them to level with. I just got my system working and have yet to see how well it works for leveling in the field.

Well my Brother has been sleeping in the Love Wagon for over a week and he says it is real comfortable to sleep in (Over cab bed). The furnace has been working great, been in the upper 30's here. The Dino Electronics card did the trick, and also the new thermostat is doing a real good job. I also installed a Carbon Monoxide detector to be on the safe side.

I have been studying making the ride better, shocks, air bags, sway bar, and leaf spring bushings. I am defenitely going to re-do the bushings, and get some shocks, but will probably do this after my Brother and Dad go back home.

Any opinions on whether a sway bar is a good way to go, or would air bags be a better way to spend my money?

This board is an awesome resource, and I have learned a ton of stuff!!!

I forgot to add, a friend of mine (Carpenter) made me a new dining table out of some cabinet plywood. The old one was falling apart. I have stained it Pecan with the urathane already in it, 4 coats, light but some color that matches good with the inside paneling. I am giving it a few more days to dry real good, and then I will be putting it in. I will get a pic up of it once I have installed it.

Well that is definitely a project! Tell me you're gonna get rid of that rear metal mesh crate and absurd bumper hitch! That generator looks like something from WW2, and that bathroom (especially that p-trap drain pipe coming out of the wall) is hideous man. No, your wife didn't faint, she keeled over! haha. I'm being a bit harsh but wow these 20 year old RV's with the original components/interiors are looking awful. And they aren't getting any better. I think 20 years is the cutoff for mandatory complete interior remodel. You better wait till spring tho. Gluck man! :)

I did remove the thing on the back, heck it weighed 60 pounds easily!

The bathroom is the last place I plan on fixing up. It is real small in there, but I think a few nice things can be done to make it more woman friendly...LOL I will get my wife's input on it when the time comes.

The Genset is from 1985, not 45 ;-) and I have it up and running great! It is loud, but if I ever need it, I will have it!

Well I see you don't have those ridiculous wrap around front windows, so your RV is already worth 10x more in my eyes! Where's the door btw?

And 60 pounds added 5' from the rear axle! Ouch, what was the previous owner thinking. Might as well hang a motorbike back there haha! Wonder how much torque/moment that equates to? Good move getting rid of that! My bad on the genset. It just look so daunting covering the entire screen of that picture. Looking at it a second time, I can get a better idea of the dimensions/size. Need some reference in that pic like a hand or some recognizable tool. It looked like some commercial generator you'd pull on a trailer. Looked like 500#'s at first glance. Read more about the mixup in the fuel line. Good job on troubleshooting that one. Things like that can be real head-scratchers. How does the generator run? Onan is a good brand that's for sure.

I never understood why they put the refrigerator on top of the wheelwells? The resulting countertop must be 4' off the floor? The interior looks decent actually and has been taken good care of. Need more pictures to give it the 2 snaps up or poke more fun at our obsession with these old turds. I'm just as guilty and love these old beaters. Wouldn't be seen with anything else.

To give some reference on the Generator size, the box in the left near bottom corner of the pic is the size of an electric wall plate that is in your house. I would say it is 2.5' long X 1.5' tall. I have the Generator running real good, steady RPMs and putting out from 118-121 volts AC, and 58-61 Hz, which from what i read on a generator forum it is spot on.

The inside looks a whole lot better since I did a bunch of cleaning before my Brother started sleeping in it. I do have some plans for a wood floor, and to get the couch and dinette cushions redone. I have also thought about painting the interior walls. I have to fix the wall by the couch, no one before me fixed the window leak, so painitng may be the easiest, and nicest looking route.

The door is in the back, just behing the wheel well.

I may take some more pics now that I have the insides looking better.

This is the first thing like this I have owned, but I love projects. I took a 1992 Mako 18' and made it look new. When I had the new engine put on, the shop owner told me he had 2 different guys ask where they could buy a boat like that. He had to explain to them it was a 1992, and it was re-done...lol

Well my Dad and Brother left today. Even though it got to about 28 at night here my Bro said he was warm and slept well with the heater working good.

I ordered the Energy Suspension bushings for the Leaf Springs (Red). I am looking for the best deal on some Bilsteins all the way around. So far I found them for about $60.00 per wheel. I know I will need to remove my Black Water tank to replace the bushings. I am hoping will not be to hard...LOL, nothing is ever easy is it? I have already got a good look at the bands that hold it on, and one bolt is where there is no way I would be able to get to it. I am going to cut the bands and buy some new stuff that I will be able to wrap around the frame, and then bolt it together.

I took a chance and popped open the clam shell that holds the awning. It is a Trans-Awn 2000. I was able to find some info about them and it appears that I have all of the parts, except the locking knobs. I keep a bunch of crap in a drawer in my Garage, and I may have one that will fit. The lady I got the Sunrader from says the awning has a tear in it, so I am going to roll it out today and see just how bad it is.

Well I got 1/4 of the way done with the Leaf Spring Bushing/Shock job. The bushing kit I bought only had 8 of the size I need. I had to run around town today and find 4 more so I can finish the job tomorrow.

I have the front Shocks, and the Drivers rear Leaf Spring Bushings and Shock to do tomorrow. I learned a few tricks at getting the Leaf Spring and the Axle lined back up, so hopefully the job tomorrow will go easier.

Well, I can mark the bushing and shock job as complete!!! Quite a job to do, but it needed it badly. The front shocks had nothing left in them, and the rear ones were not much better.

The bushing were totally wore out...take a look.

IMG_0453.jpg

I did have to remove my BWT which was already mentioned, and I did run into a bit of a problem with a wood box that is part of the entry step. So I removed some of the wood to make way for the Shackle Bushing bolt.

IMG_0452.jpg

I took it for a short run, and hit a few bumps that I knew would have some effect. It no longer sounds like 2 huge bricks slapping together when I hit a bump in the road now.

I also bought a Sway Bar, not sure if I need it, but everything that I have read here and elsewhere tells me it can't hurt. I think, and I am hoping I have metal in the right spot on the frame for the connecting rods, or what ever else they are called...LOL. I should have the Sway Bar this coming up week, so it will be a good job for next weekend.

I also have a couple of Bushing on the front ebd that need replaced, so I might as well just go ahead and get them.

Ok, I got it home!!!

First thing of course was getting out the pressure washer and getting how ever many years of grime off the outside. The cleaning is no where near complete, but I hate to work on things that are dirty.

I am getting the engine battery charged real good, and will begin to work out the fuel issue tomorrow.

Here are some pics with it finally in my driveway!!!

The on/close valve for the LP gas does not want to turn, add that to the list!!!

Overall I think this will be a fun project. My wife didn't faint when she went out to look at it...LOL

/quote]

Just beginning my search for a rig.....was wondering what a unit like this, in this condition might go for ?? How much should I expect to pay for a mid 80's toyota Sunrader/Esaper/or SeaBreeze ??? Generally speaking.

bullmoose,

I would love to give you a solid answer but there are just to many factors involved.

I got lucky on the price I paid for mine. There could be deals like that in your area as well, then again maybe not.

Some folks on this site have paid upwards of $5000.00 for their Mid 80s Toy home. I am sure if you look around you can find one anywhere between the price of mine, and theirs. Remember it is only worth what you are willing to pay for it, how much work is involved and what you are willing to do.

So far I have an additional $750.00 in mine already, and it is a long ways from being done to my standards.